We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach without vendors/sellers + place to stay close by

London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beach without vendors/sellers + place to stay close by

Dear Vagabonda

I have been trying to find a beach in Sicily with accommodation within walking distance, where there are no people trying to sell things to me. I'll have my 8 year old daughter with me, and I'd prefer not to hire a car as I'd be driving on other other side of the road. I'm used to unspoilt beaches back in South Australia, but want to encourage my little girl (raised in Central London) to love swimming in the sea. I can cope with the mass tourism and the umbrellas etc, but would like to avoid having to send people away. Are there some beaches without these vendors/hawkers, which do have accommodation within walking distance? I'd be very grateful for your advice or anyone's. We plan to travel at the end of August for a week. If the location has at least one historical thing to do as well, that would be very welcome. (We'll return with the whole family and do an intense history holiday next time.)

Mentioned in this post
Da Massimo Dolce Vita Group
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Gozzo Christian
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Cerasella
Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Speed Boats Tours, Day Trips
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,886 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach without vendors/sellers + place to stay close by

Welcome to Sicily Tania37!

Head to the beaches of Ragusa province.

If you decide to hire a car, then also the beaches of southern Siracusa province.

Beaches near Scicli:

tripadvisor.com/…57717206

And for transport....

Catania to Ragusa quickest publlic transport route:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194872-i4025-k531…

Vagabonda

Edited: 12 July 2014, 11:17
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,886 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach without vendors/sellers + place to stay close by

Traveling to Sicily in August, advice needed:

tripadvisor.com/…59044799

Vagabonda

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach without vendors/sellers + place to stay close by

We stayed 2 weeks in Donnalucata, arrived yesterday back home to Finland.

We really loved it!!

I didn't know, that one can still find beautiful, white sand beaches in Italy, that are almost "empty".

Turqoise, clear water, we couldn't stop taking pictures!

And the beach is huge, 2 to 3 km!

We rented a house by the beach, had 2 kids with us, 7 and 16- year. They both loved it too.

No tourists :)

Only Italians, families on picnic with umbrellas and some young people playing football.

Nobody rented any sunbeds!

And, I want to thank Vagabonda: Your advices were all exellent! The beach house was perfect for us after busy week in Taormina. And dinners in Marina di Ragusa, Ragusa Ibla and Scicli were exellent!

Also, we loved one night trips to Syracuse and Agrigento.

Agrigento was big surprice; of course the pemples were amazing, but there was also nice shopping street, and some kind of church - festival, lots of people (it was Saturday 5th on July) and music on the street.

Wonderfull trip!

Isabella

Mentioned in this post
Finland
Finland
Europe
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,886 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach without vendors/sellers + place to stay close by

Welcome back, and that's wonderful Isabella-HKI! It was my pleasure, and yes, Donnalucata is special!!

All the best!

Vagabonda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach without vendors/sellers + place to stay close by

As a fellow australian,I know what you mean. If you want a fantastic beach, no hassles go where the Sicilians suggest and that is Sampiere it is unspoilt and very beautiful with simple accommodation and shops. Nearby is Noto, Ragusa and Modica with plenty of culture and history to go around.

Brucefil

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,886 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach without vendors/sellers + place to stay close by

This entire coast is very special and delightfully local!

Vagabonda

7. Re: Beach without vendors/sellers + place to stay close by

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 06:16