We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regaleali Estate

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Regaleali Estate

My husband are planning on visiting this area and staying one night in early October..(coming from Palermo) We will then be traveling to Trapani. My question is…google maps is showing the route between the 2 places would take us back up through Palermo….I can see a way to get there through Corleone..I realize the driving time would be longer and we are fine with that, we actually like getting off the beaten path and exploring, but is it TOO off the beaten path ie road conditions etc.

Thank you so much for any information that you can share with me!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,993 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Regaleali Estate

Yes, it's too off the beaten path, and the hills of Palermo province aren't for driving from destination to destination. Signage is poor, and autumn rains can present issues in the hills.

Vagabonda

Edited: 18 July 2014, 01:48
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Regaleali Estate

Thank you Vagabonda for your answer! I was afraid of that so will stick to the original route! Really appreciate your advice!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,993 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Regaleali Estate

Prego smok213,

Perhaps begin with Regaleali, then see Palermo, and then Trapani.

Or you might spend a night in Agrigento, and then drive the southern coast along the SS115 to the A29, and avoid driving Palermo's ring road.

Best regards,

Vagabonda

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Regaleali Estate

Hi Vagabonda! Thank you again for responding…I have read so many of your recommendations and advice to other travelers, always with great interest, so I was hoping to connect with you.

Perhaps I'm trying to hard to get to Regaleali, it seems to be throwing a kink into my plans..

My original route was something like this

Arrive Palermo early am ferry and drive directly to Regaleali area, spend night @ Masseria Susafa

Drive Back to Palermo spend night - do some sort of walking tour (note we have free night here via husbands hotel points, so hate to pass that up)

2 nights Trapani

1 night Agrigento area (maybe Menfi? We would like to see one of the Greek Temple areas)

2 nights Ragusa area

2 nights Taormina (I really don't want to change this, we really are looking forward to staying @ Casa Cuseni)

Would it be better to eliminate the night in Regaleali and change somewhere else, given our basic route? Maybe add a day to Agrigento/Menfi area? I've read a little about the Planeta estate for a tour/tasting/meal etc?

I should also add that when we Travel we really enjoy 'experiences" at lodgings..location, food, wine etc…not just a place to sleep. And, also the reason we wanted to go to Regaleali in the first place is my husbands interest in wine and Tasca in general. And like I said in my original post, we LOVE to get off the beaten path to some degree :)

Thank you for any advice you can offer me! Grazie! :) Suzanne

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,993 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Regaleali Estate

There are many wineries throughout Sicily, and although Regaleali is progressive and wonderful, consider your overall routing, itinerary, and convenience.

Really reconsider driving in Palermo, and driving from Palermo to the Madonie for one night, and then returning to Palermo.

Consider Planeta in Menfi, and lunch at Ulmo, local, a fantastic family, and local experiences from one of Sicily's most progressive wineries.

Sicily's Southwest is off the beaten path!

Vagabonda

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Regaleali Estate

Yes Vagabonda, agree with you 100 percent…I have decided not to travel to Regaleali for that one night and am going to add a night near Menfi. Thank you for the tip of the restaurant! I have now read some about Planeta, it looks wonderful (so many options to visit and tour!)

This is our first trip to Sicily, part of our 25th anniversary trip, and the more I read and research the more excited I am getting. You are an amazing resource in planning and your wealth of knowledge is truly appreciated..

Grazie!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,993 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Regaleali Estate

Congratulations on your special anniversary smok213!

You might stay at La Foresteria Planeta, and then book lunch and tasting at the Ulmo cantine in Sambuca di Sicilia. Chiara Planeta is so knowledgeable and generous with her time. You can walk the vineyards, and enjoy a delightful day. Enjoy dinner at La Foresteria.

http://www.planetaestate.it/?lang=en

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g666980-d207503…

tripadvisor.com/…41041976

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CsPLFaVM30

planeta.it/en/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/201…

La Foresteria is also located near Portopalo, and the Bandiera Blu awarded beach, as well as the beautiful Riserva Naturale Foce del Fiume Belice e dune limitrofe, Sciacca, Selinunte....

www.bandierablu.org/common/blueflag.asp…

Western Sicily base:

tripadvisor.com/…49358897

Riserva Naturale Foce Fiume del Belice:

tripadvisor.com/…50135485

Tanti auguri!

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,993 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Regaleali Estate

Hire the car at Palermo's airport when you depart the city.

Best regards,

Vagabonda

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Regaleali Estate

Prego Vagabonda!

Thank you again!! I am highly considering La Foresteria and have also found Baglio San Vincenzo which looks very nice, more rustic, but maybe to diversify the wine experience a bit. both look like excellent choices. We are definitely going to go to the Ulmo Estate and Cantine, it sounds EXACTLY like something we enjoy!

And yes, getting the car @ Palermo (although there is a hertz office 5 minute walking from our hotel…would there be a reason to get it @ the airport?)

May I ask you another question? When we are traveling south from Trapani, I wanted to make a pit stop to Marsala to see a salinery, but it does not appear to be the right time of year (1st week October) Is that correct or is there another location that might be possible near Trapani?

Mille Grazie Again!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,993 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Regaleali Estate

Yes, Baglio San Vincenzo is another fine possibility, and you might still enjoy lunch at Ulmo.

Baglio San Vincenzo is more rustic, and also in a more rural area, and a bit more challenging to find, and a more challenging drive, so secure detailed directions from the baglio, and plan to arrive during daylight, as it begins to get dark earlier in October.

Yes, you wouldn't want to drive in Palermo, so take the bus back to the airport, and hire the car at the airport. The airport is located west of the city along the A29, so you would be well positioned for your onward drive to Menfi.

The salt harvest around Trapani begins in August, but you might visit the saltpans and the lagoon.

Vagabonda