We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another itinerary question

NJ
Level Contributor
543 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Another itinerary question

My wife and I are booked into Residence Marsa Sicla for the week of October 18 -- flying into Catania and, most likely, flying out of Palermo (neither is booked yet). We know it's a bit remote but expect to take day trips to Syracuse and surrounding areas. We will also be spending a second week in Sicily, which is why we're thinking of flying out of Palermo. We will be renting a car if there is no other way to get around easily. Our interests are history, culture, food, wine and beaches.

Questions --

Are Agrigento, Taormina, Etna and other places on the east coast too far for a day trip from Sampieri?

Where should we spend the second week? It's okay to spend a few nights in different places. We enjoy walking to restaurants and sights instead of driving.

Also, please give any B&B or hotel advice for along the way. While money is always an object, a splurge or two are okay.

Thanks

Sorry for the long post...

Edited: 22 July 2014, 21:37
Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
10,431 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another itinerary question

hi: in my opinion, having a car will be the most convenient mode of transportation, especially when you are in Sicily for 2 weeks and wish to travel in the east, center, coast and western areas. But with research and planning, you *may* be able to do everything via the bus system. As always, it really depends upon what you wish to do and where you'd like to go. Reading a good guidebook will provide loads of ideas ("where should we spend our second week?") that you can tailor down to a more personal adventure.

Your lodging is somewhat centrally located for exploring the Val di Noto region/Baroque towns, as well as beaches and villages along the coast, yet it seems to be an all inclusive modern enclave...is this what you're looking for when you ask for hotel/B&B advice---a holiday resort like the Marsa Sicla?

NJ
Level Contributor
543 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another itinerary question

Thanks, Chester. No, Marsa Sicla is not our ideal lodging but we traded a timeshare for the first week and that's the only option. We do not care for AI but it seems necessary due to the location.

We'll most likely rent a car so we can go at our own schedule. The east is where we'll stay the first week, I assume; the second is open.

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
10,431 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another itinerary question

well, we're going in October and staying 15 days, then on to southern Italy for 6 days. I really knew nothing about Sicily when i started planning but have poured through at least 2 guidebooks and have used this forum as well.

Sicily is a large island......we are staying in Ortigia, Scicli and Ragusa during our first week but that is after a lot of research (online as well) and extraordinary helpful advice from Vagabonda and others. I have created an adventure that combines historical villages, Baroque Unesco World Heritage sites, Greek and Roman ruins, hilltop foggy perches as well as a laid-back sleepy fishing village and of course, Palermo. I wish I didn't have to rent a car but we knew it would be the most efficient and flexible. I secured all lodging very early and am now just starting to look at the choices i've made more closely and see if i'd like to change one here or there. I use booking.com as well as contacting some hotel via their websites. I found that using booking.com and choosing lodging that had "free cancellation" allowed me the opportunity to cancel without worrying about penalties (if in time of course).

NJ
Level Contributor
543 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another itinerary question

Thanks for the info. I think we'll spend some time in Syracuse, Modica, Noto and other surrounding areas during our first week. We'll probably even take a day trip to Malta.

The second week is where I'm a bit overwhelmed. We would like to see Agrigento and other towns along the coast in that direction (the names escape me right now). We'll spend a day or two in the Palermo area. We would llike to see Taormina/Etna but may not since we are planning on flying out of PMO. We really don't want to spend all of our time in the car.

Can someone (Vagabonda) make any suggestions??

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
10,431 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another itinerary question

i can only say what we have planned as these are places that looked compelling to me and fit in with how i like to travel ... with only 2 weeks, you can't see all of Sicily...... this is where research helps whittle down choices (of interest) and an itinerary starts to form...

An overview of our 15 day itinerary--- fly into Catania, bus to Syracusa/Ortigia (3 nights with evening trip to Noto), pick up rental car and drive to Scicli (1 night--i really want to wake up there), then Ragusa (2 nights with day trip to Caltagirone), then over to the Agrigento temples (spending about 3 hrs or so there) and then make our way to Selinunte (and an overnight). Then up to Erice for 2 nights and explore the town as well as Segesta. Then over to the small fishing village of Scopello for 3 nights, which is near a reserve-- Then drop the rental car at the airport and bus ourselves into Palermo for 3 nights (you don't wish to drive in Palermo). After 15 days, fly to Italy and make our way (public trans) to Matera (3 nights) and finally Naples (3 nights). So...that's our 21 day adventure...and i'm still tailoring it!

6. Re: Another itinerary question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 06:15