We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palermo to Lipari

Barcelona, Spain
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Palermo to Lipari

Hoping vagabond can help with one

My wife and I will arrive at the Palermo airport at 12:15 in mid august and we re hoping to catch passage to lipari via Ustica which departs 13:50. With travel time from the airport to the bus station and whatever is the quickest method to the port ( traffic etc.) is this realistic? Or should we make other arrangements?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,009 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Palermo to Lipari

Welcome to Sicily omegathre!

It's possible if your flight isn't delayed.

Book your Ustica Lines tickets in advance.

usticalines.it/en/dettaglio_info_utili.asp…

Exit arrivals, turn right, and take the Prestia e Comandè bus from Palermo’s airport to Palermo's port, Palermo - Via E. Amari n. 8 (Porto).

http://www.prestiaecomande.it/

Click on “Aereoporto Falcone Borsellino – Palermo”:

www.prestiaecomande.it/…

Although these buses are reliable, you may have to wait and lose some time at the airport, since the buses depart the airport every half an hour.

You might really consider a prearranged transfer from the airport to the port.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187890-d3…

There are never any guarantees with such a tight schedule, so you might also consider spending the night in Palermo, and heading to Lipari the following day, or you might take the train from Palermo to Milazzo, and then take the AST bus from Milazzo's train station to Milazzo's port.

You're arriving mid-August, so hopefully not on the 15th (Ferragosto), a major National holiday.

Vagabonda

Barcelona, Spain
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palermo to Lipari

Vagabond,

Prearranged transfer sound like the safest bet. I ll look into the train to Milazzo as well just to see if the travel times are comparable. I'm guessing a train ride along the coast would be quite scenic and enjoyable either way. We plan on spending out last day/night in Palermo before heading home so hopefully we can get out to Lipari on day one.

We arrive on the 14th so ideally we can settled in the next day and enjoying the holiday like everyone else. Can please let me know if restaurants and shops will be closed on the 15th? Just an excuse for another beach day I suppose.

Thanks for sharing your regional knowledge, it makes travel planning more enjoyable.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,009 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Palermo to Lipari

Prego omegathre,

Yes, if you plan to depart from Palermo, then a prearranged transfer is your safest bet.

Milazzo is a viable second plan.

The train along the coast is typically delayed, so plan accordingly. The AC may not be working as well, and there's no food service.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g658627-i12296-k53…

Lipari is a tourist destination, and summer is peak season, so you won't have a problem on Lipari on the 15th when the island is very lively.

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Barcelona, Spain
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palermo to Lipari

Great thanks. We are hoping to spilt our time between Lipari and Taormina (6 days) before coming back to Palermo. I realize that might be a lot to do in that time, would you recommend just focusing one area instead (likely Taormina) and doing excursions from there (assuming the beach experience would be similar)

5. Re: Palermo to Lipari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2015, 06:16