We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Sicily in February - Into Palermo out of Catania

boston
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
7 days in Sicily in February - Into Palermo out of Catania

I've read many, many suggested itineraries and I'm feeling overwhelmed. There are 4 of us (2 couples) flying into Palermo mid-day on Feb 23rd, and flying out of Catania on March 1 in the evening.

We are interested in food, wine, local culture and sights. We have been told to not miss Taormina, Siracusa, Agrigento, Ragusa.

My thoughts are:

2 nights in Palermo

1 night Agrigento

2 nights Siracusa

1 nights Taormina

Any must sees that we will miss? Also, Taormina has very mixed reviews (too touristy, not worth the time). Any advise on whether this is too aggressive or if we are missing something important is much appreciated. We will be renting a car when leaving Palermo (we know...don't drive in Palermo!).

Grazie!

Susan

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,915 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in Sicily in February - Into Palermo out of Catania

Agrigento is only about a two hour drive from Palermo, and Siracusa is about two and a half more, so I think I'd skip staying there and make Agrigento a stop on the day you transition from west to east. If you get an early start in the morning you can spend four to six hours at Agrigento and still be in Siracusa (or Taormina) in time for dinner.

Also, I'd pick either Siracusa or Taormina and day trip out, not move from one to the other. That way you'll have only two check-ins/check-outs during the week.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,394 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in Sicily in February - Into Palermo out of Catania

Agrigento has a cafeteria that functions in the winter, so you can count on eating lunch there. I was in western Sicly and Agrigento for 14 days in Feb, 2010. In many towns in the winter some of the restaurants were closed in the winter. often finding a place open for lunch while touring was a challenge. We visited Selinunte that has a cafeteria, but that is closed in the winter, and we hadn't brought snacks with us, becaseu we thought we would eat at the cafeteria when we got there. Segesta has a snack bar, and in the winter, the food there consisted of pringles and candy bars. After a few of these snafus, we started eating a big breakfast at the hotel, bringing snacks with us, and jsut skippinjg lunch.

3. Re: 7 days in Sicily in February - Into Palermo out of Catania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 06:16