We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sicily with family march/ April 2015 freight trains/beach

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Sicily with family march/ April 2015 freight trains/beach

Hi I am planning to visit next year in Easter school holidays. My son wants to see freight trains, my daughter likes the beach and my husband and I like restaurants with great views. Any advice on resorts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,885 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sicily with family march/ April 2015 freight trains/beach

Welcome to Sicily jackie k!

March and April are unfortunately prior to Sicily's beach season, which begins in June.

Your son would be treated to some of the oldest trains in Italy. There's lots of freight traffic around unattractive and industrial Gela.

Taormina has many restaurants with terraces and great views of the sea and Etna, but if planning to stay around Gela, perhaps also consider Sicily's southeast, Siracusa, Ragusa, and Modica.

Vagabonda

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,954 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sicily with family march/ April 2015 freight trains/beach

Sicily is not tropical. Winter/early spring weather is very pleasant, buty not even close to being beach weather. I visited in Feb but I am interested in ruins and museums.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sicily with family march/ April 2015 freight trains/beach

Thank you, do u think we could walk along the beach with tshirt and shorts? Build sand castles etc...

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sicily with family march/ April 2015 freight trains/beach

Surely, if the weather is good and warm enough...off season there aren't services, but you can enjoy the seaside on your own.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,885 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sicily with family march/ April 2015 freight trains/beach

You would most certainly be able to go to the beach, sunbathe, enjoy walks along the beach, and even swim, although April is early for the swim season which begins in May,but the beach establishments throughout Italy don’t formally open until June.

Vagabonda

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,954 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sicily with family march/ April 2015 freight trains/beach

Teehshirts, yes but maybe not shorts, Here in MN people start wearing shorts in the spring often when the temperature reaches 40 deg F (4 DegC). Average high/lo in Palermo in April is 64/55 deg F (18/13 deg C). Myself 64 deg F (18 deg C) is not shorts weather.

www.holiday-weather.com/palermo/averages/

Beach near Selenunte in Feb 2010

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,885 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sicily with family march/ April 2015 freight trains/beach

It would depend on the weather, temperatures, and sunshine, but tourists wear shorts in April on a warmer and sunny day.

I've also seen a few tourists take a swim at Zingaro and Taormina's Isola Bella in March and April, but March and April are really early in the season fro a swim.

Vagabonda

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sicily with family march/ April 2015 freight trains/beach

Thank u :-)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,885 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sicily with family march/ April 2015 freight trains/beach

Prego jackie k,

Although the weather hasn't been typical these past several years, March is typically transitional, and really not the best weather month.

Enjoy your planning!

Vagabonda

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sicily with family march/ April 2015 freight trains/beach

thank you for all your input, we booked and are due to visit at the beginning of April, we are really looking forward to our stay. :-)