There is never enough time. My wife and I will be making our first trip to Sicily in September and are trying to finalize our itinerary, but trying to balance our time constraints with the realities of geography. For what it is worth, we have traveled before in Italy and I speak reasonable Italian. Here's what we have so far:
- Arrive in Catania, cab to hotel in Ortygia (Palazzo del Sale). Three nights in Ortygia. (days 1-3)
- Tour Siracusa and make a day trip to Noto via bus.
- Rent car in Siracusa. Here is where I need some help. Current plan is to tour Caltagirone and Villa Romana dei Casale, then overnight at Enna (Hotel Siciliana). (day 4)
- Drive to Agrigento and visit the Valle dei Templi. Stay in or near Agrigento. (day 5)
- Drive to Palermo with potential lunch stop at the Planeta winery in Ulmo. Return rental car. Tour Palermo with day trip to Monreale. (days 6-8)
- Night ferry to Naples where we will spend an some days touring before returning to the US via Rome.
Are days 4 and 5 too ambitious? Instead of driving to Enna, should we stay near Piazza Armerina or drive directly to Agrigento? Would it be better to drive directly to Agrigento from Siracusa, then visit the other sites on our way to Palermo? I know that we are leaving out many interesting sites. Will the ones we have included give us a nice first-timer introduction to Sicily?
All thoughts would be most welcome.