We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Day Itinerary

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
8 Day Itinerary

There is never enough time. My wife and I will be making our first trip to Sicily in September and are trying to finalize our itinerary, but trying to balance our time constraints with the realities of geography. For what it is worth, we have traveled before in Italy and I speak reasonable Italian. Here's what we have so far:

- Arrive in Catania, cab to hotel in Ortygia (Palazzo del Sale). Three nights in Ortygia. (days 1-3)

- Tour Siracusa and make a day trip to Noto via bus.

- Rent car in Siracusa. Here is where I need some help. Current plan is to tour Caltagirone and Villa Romana dei Casale, then overnight at Enna (Hotel Siciliana). (day 4)

- Drive to Agrigento and visit the Valle dei Templi. Stay in or near Agrigento. (day 5)

- Drive to Palermo with potential lunch stop at the Planeta winery in Ulmo. Return rental car. Tour Palermo with day trip to Monreale. (days 6-8)

- Night ferry to Naples where we will spend an some days touring before returning to the US via Rome.

Are days 4 and 5 too ambitious? Instead of driving to Enna, should we stay near Piazza Armerina or drive directly to Agrigento? Would it be better to drive directly to Agrigento from Siracusa, then visit the other sites on our way to Palermo? I know that we are leaving out many interesting sites. Will the ones we have included give us a nice first-timer introduction to Sicily?

All thoughts would be most welcome.

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 Day Itinerary

Hi. Your plan on day 4 and 5 is a bit busy, but viable. Enna isn't very far from Piazza Armerina, and going to Agrigento the next day you would have to go to Enna to reach the motorway.

Reconsider the taxi from Catania to Siracusa, it would be horribly expensive, take the bus from Catania airport or prebook a transfer.

www.interbus.it

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 Day Itinerary

Thank you, Biondo! The fact that we would have to go to Enna anyway to reach the highway makes the decision to overnight there an easy one.

We have, in fact, booked the transfer from Catania airport to our B&B through the B&B. From this forum, it looks like the 60€ fee is pretty standard. Like some others, we are justifying the relative luxury by the fact that we are arriving in Rome via an overnight flight from the US and then flying the leg to Catania which adds up to many hours on the road already.

Thanks again.

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 Day Itinerary

Prego David R! 60 euros sounds good, a cab hired at the airport to go to Siracusa would surely cost more :-)

Enjoy your planning!

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 Day Itinerary

I too am planning to stay at the same hotel in Enna and would love to hear your comments after your visit. We are going there next April. And we are also planning a trip to Planeta winery on our route from Monreale to the southern coast. Does anyone know if we need to make reservations in advance for this? Many thanks.

5. Re: 8 Day Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 07:16