We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on 1 week itinerary

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback on 1 week itinerary

I'm visiting Sicily for a week from September 20-28, 2014 and would like to see the best of what this gorgeous island has to offer. I'm flying into Catania and out of Palermo and planning to hire a car whilst I'm there. I have drawn up the itinerary below and would appreciate if there were any tips to make my trip worthwhile.

Sat, 20 Sep 2014 - arrive in Catania, hire a car and drive to Taormina. Overnight in Taormina.

Sun, 21 Sep 2014: visit Mt Etna in the morning if the weather is nice. I plan to take the funicular and the 4x4 tour with a short trek. Return to Taormina in the afternoon and visit the amphitheatre. Overnight in Taormina.

Mon, 22 Sep 2014: depart Taormina in the morning for Piazza Armerina. Visit villa romana del casale. Drive to Syracuse after the visit. Overnight in Syracuse.

Tue, 23 Sep 2014: visit the sights of Syracuse. Overnight in Syracuse.

Wed, 24 Sep 2014: visit Noto, Marzamemi and possibly Ragusa. Overnight in Syracuse.

Thu, 25 Sep 2014: depart Syracuse for Agrigento. Visit the valley of the temples for the day. Depart for Palermo after the visit.Need to be in Palermo by 1900. Overnight in Palermo

Fri, 26 Sep 2014: visit monreale in the morning. Drive to San Vito lo Capo. Spend the afternoon on the beach. Return to Palermo in the evening. Overnight in Palermo.

Sat, 27 Sep 2014. Visit the sights of Palermo. Head to mondello in the afternoon if possible. Overnight in Palermo

Sun, 28 Sep 2014: depart Palermo in the morning

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,046 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on 1 week itinerary

hi: we are visiting Sicily for 15 days Sept/Oct and I know you'll receive wonderful advice from the experts....yet there were a few things that jumped out to me. There seems to be a bit of backtracking--

Your itinerary from Taormina to Piazza Armerina/Casale and then back to Syracuse and then out to the Baroque towns and then back to Syracuse could be smoother. After time in Taormina and Etna, I would base in Syracuse (or Ortigia) and (as was recommended to me) visit Noto by bus at sunset (a small trip from Syracuse) ....then when ready, take off and visit other towns, perhaps spending a night or two in Ragusa Ibla for your day visit to Piazza Armerina/Casale. From Ragusa you can drive to Agrigento and the Valley of the Temples.

We are arriving Catania and taking a bus to Syracuse and I'm not picking up the rental car until leaving Syracuse for Scicli, Ragusa, Caltigirone and then after other destinations, returning the rental at the Palermo airport before heading into Palermo. Just wondering, is it necessary to have a car for your time in Etna and Taormina?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,229 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on 1 week itinerary

Welcome to Sicily hbb1504!

Hire the car at Catania's airport, and then drive onward to Taormina. Avoid driving in Catania itself.

Piazza Armerina isn't on the way from Taormina to Siracusa. Drive directly from Taormina to Siracusa.

Marzamemi is not worth your time, so see Noto and Ragusa, but then why return to Siracusa??

Overnight in Ragusa, or drive onward, and overnight in Piazza Armerina, especially considering that there's no left luggage storage in Piazza Armerina. It is a risk to leave luggage unattended in a car. Also note that there's no left luggage in Noto or Ragusa.

Return the car in Agrigento, and then take the train or Cuffaro bus from Agrigento to Palermo.

But if you plan to retain the car, then visit Western Sicily prior to your arrival in Palermo, so from Agrigento, head to San Vito Lo Capo.

Then return the car at Palermo's airport.

Take the bus from Palermo to Monreale, and take the bus from Palermo to Mondello.

There's frequent bus transport from Palermo to the airport as well.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,229 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on 1 week itinerary

You might also take a day trip to Noto from Siracusa, and then base in Ragusa and see Piazza Armerina as suggested by Chester9cat.

Vagabonda

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,046 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback on 1 week itinerary

hi vagabonda! i'm almost there!! :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,229 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback on 1 week itinerary

Good for you Chester9cat!

You have worked so hard planning this holiday, and hopefully you'll truly enjoy this much deserved holiday!

Vagabonda

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback on 1 week itinerary

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Sincerely appreciate your taking the time and effort to help me with my trip :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,229 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback on 1 week itinerary

Prego hbb1504, and all the best!

Vagabonda

8. Re: Feedback on 1 week itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2015, 06:15