We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ascending Mount Etna in February?

Which Catania hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
13 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Ascending Mount Etna in February?

I am planning a trip to Sicily early February and would love to go to Mount Etna. What type of ascension can I do at the period of the year assuming there can be snow on the top? Will it be worth the trip?

I am a good hiker and I can ski but I would not qualify myself as a mountaineer.

Many thanks for your advice.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,603 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ascending Mount Etna in February?

Welcome to Sicily ElsieFrench!

It would very much be worth the trip, but dress for winter – You would find snow on Etna, and in fact be able to ski!

You might however consider trekking with a group excursion – It’s really fabulous!

etnaexperience.com/english/excursions/Winter…

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

England
Level Contributor
13 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ascending Mount Etna in February?

Great to know we can do it. Thanks for the quick reply. By any chance do you know whether the cable car can be used and the main cratere accessible?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,603 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ascending Mount Etna in February?

Prego ElsieFrench,

The funivia runs throughout winter.

funiviaetna.com/versione_inglese/orari.html

The situation could easily change on Etna depending on eruptions prior to your visit, but you can’t go higher than 2100 m to the new crater.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,603 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ascending Mount Etna in February?

Also.....

etnasicilytouring.com/en/…winter-etna-tour

etnasicilytouring.com/en/excursion/inverno-e…

etnasicilytouring.com/en/…inverno-etna-sunset

http://www.volcanotrek.com/

Vagabonda

Suno, Italy
Level Contributor
164 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ascending Mount Etna in February?

Here you can find a report with pictures made by some friends of mine who ascended mount Etna in February 2008.

The reports are in italian, you will need a translator to understand it, but the language of the pictures is international:

www.brianzatour.org/engine.php…

What I can say, reading their reports, is that you need to be a good alpine skier, and you need to be well equipped against cold, if you want to do this.

Sicily is south Europe, but Etna is more than 3000 meter high, and in winter that means very very cold!

If you are doing it, don't forget to share the pictures with us!

Stefano

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,603 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ascending Mount Etna in February?

Thanks for sharing the report kayak62!

Etna’s summit is cold and windy even in summer, so dress appropriately for winter with a visit in February!

Vagabonda

England
Level Contributor
13 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ascending Mount Etna in February?

Reporting back after my holiday. We did the winter tour with etna experience. This was great but not for the faint hearted: the snowshoe walk was extraordinary despite the strong wind at the top of the craters.

The valley of Alcanthara was also very much worth it: so incredible to be able to walk on the subduction zone of 2 continents Africa and Europe.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,603 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ascending Mount Etna in February?

Welcome back ElsieFrench - My pleasure....

There’s been more than the usual amount of snowfall on Etna this winter, so there’s a lot of snow on Etna at the moment, and skiers are very happy!

The summit is cold and windy!!!

Thank you for your report!

Vagabonda

9. Re: Ascending Mount Etna in February?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Catania