We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz car hire fro Catania Airport - shocking experience!

Which Catania hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hertz car hire fro Catania Airport - shocking experience!

We hired a car from Catania airport on 15th September. Booked a small automatic car but told that they upgraded us to a Volvo since they did not have a small car available!

When we returned the car to the airport on 20th September, the attendant went out to check the car and signed that all was in order and good condition.

One and a half hours later, while we were on a bus to Palermo, we received a call from Hertz advising that they had just rechecked the car in their garage and found a hole in the tyre. For this they were going to carge us EUR 450. We argued with them that we would have had a flat wheel had this been the case and they would have seen it. They told us that it was their right to charge on our credit card and that there was nothing we could do about it. We asked for a photograph to be sent to our email and were told that they did not work like that. So we have no proof and probably neither do they!

Is this a scam.

Beware of Hertz Sicily. Any advice?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,509 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hertz car hire fro Catania Airport - shocking experience!

Did you book directy with Hertz or via a booking engine?

Did you take photos of the car when you returned the car?

Contact your credit card company and contest the charge.

Good luck!

Vagabonda

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hertz car hire fro Catania Airport - shocking experience!

We didn't take photos of the car because Hertz agreed with us that everything was in order. Our travel agent made the booking for us. We will have to deal with the Credit Card company as well as with the insurance company when we get back home.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,509 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hertz car hire fro Catania Airport - shocking experience!

Hopefully you have a copy of the signed contract indicating that everything was in order. Contact the credit card company as soon as possible!!

Vagabonda

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
51 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hertz car hire fro Catania Airport - shocking experience!

Thank you for posting this. I will be renting a car with Hertz in Catania next week and will make sure to take complete photos and video of the car upon return.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
179 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hertz car hire fro Catania Airport - shocking experience!

Thanks for the info. I have booked a car with Hertz for one day next week. I thought I would be safe with such a well know company. I will check the car carefully upon return and take photo's, although it will be dark when I return it. I have the extra CDW insurance anyway, but that is not the point. I hate to be cheated! Good luck with gewtting a refund. Please let us know how you get on.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,509 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hertz car hire fro Catania Airport - shocking experience!

Inspect the car with an agent, and be sure any damages on the car are indicated in writing with the agent signing off on them at pick-up and drop-off.

Keep copies of all documentation. The supplier often requests your paperwork, so have an extra copy.

Take dated photos of the car (inside, outside, underneath, petrol gauge) at pick-up and upon return for documentation of the car’s condition, and perhaps photograph the car with a dated local newspaper, so there is no question that your photos haven't been altered. You might also video the car and your interactions with the supplier.

If an agent isn’t able to inspect the car with you, and you determine that there are damages that were not reported on the contract, return to the rental area, and ask the agent to sign off on any damages that weren’t reported on the initial contract.

Good luck to everyone!

Vagabonda

York, England
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hertz car hire fro Catania Airport - shocking experience!

I was going to rent a car from Hertz rather than Auto-Europe, as they use Firefly, at Trapani airport. I had read previous posts and thought it was worth paying nearly double for peace of mind. Now it looks as if Hertz is no better than the other companies. Should I still book with Hertz or risk it with Auto-Europe?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,509 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hertz car hire fro Catania Airport - shocking experience!

AutoEurope is a very reliable broker, and so an additional layer of protection, since billing issues would be dealt by the broker, but Firefly is a very unreliable supplier, and Hertz is a reputable supplier - Consider that issues vary from location to location.

And finally, AutoEurope is affiliated with Hertz at Trapani Birgi.

Vagabonda

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hertz car hire fro Catania Airport - shocking experience!

What a terrible experience, I don't see how they can charge you if they checked the car over and said it was fine, hopefully you'll be able to do something via your credit card but let us know how it goes.

Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hertz car hire fro Catania Airport - shocking experience!

Thats terrible! We have learned to video tape the car inspection - they hate it, but thats just too bad. We have done this in Portugal after hearing such horror stories. Better to mildly insult than be scammed.

Get answers to your questions about Catania