We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire Sicily

Which Catania hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ripon, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire Sicily

We are keen to pick up our car in Marsala or Catania but leave it at Palermo. Do you think this will be a problem? Also prices for people carriers seem incredibly expensive, Hertz quoting £1600 per week. We are a group of 7 adults and would prefer one car rather than 2 smaller ones, any comments on this.

England
Level Contributor
328 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire Sicily

Most of the major hire companies allow a drop off at a different location, but they may well charge extra for this.

As for the size of the car, have you been to Sicily before? The reason i ask is because that is a massive car for most sicilian towns and villages, and whilst it will be fine on the autostrada, it will be a total frustration everywhere else.

I have never hired anything bigger than a VW Golf and to be honest, that is still too big. A lot of roads are very narrow and parking spaces can be tiny, so I would personally recommend two smaller cars.

The reason why it will be expensive is that probably hardly anyone rents anything that big in Sicily.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
85 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire Sicily

I was very surprised to see mini vans all over Sicily this month. Local people do know how to park them, but as tourists, I think it would be very difficult.

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire Sicily

Hi, jumping on the back of this forum... Do you know if I need the paper park of my drivers license when hiring a car in Sicily?

Lost it during a move and not sure I have enough time to get a new one!!

Just wondering if it's standard or if I can get away with it?

Thanks!

England
Level Contributor
328 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire Sicily

Check the T's and C's of you hire contract, but I'm pretty certain that you do, as the paper part details endorsements and they will want to check.

5. Re: Car hire Sicily

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 08:16