We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire catania airport

Which Catania hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bexhill-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire catania airport

Is Hertz still the best option for Car Hire from this airport or are there any other reliable companies

Also want to go somewhere for lunch for three hours while we wait for our friends to arrive. Any recommendations for somewhere convenient and safe?

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire catania airport

Hello, Unfortunately the only part of Catania we experienced was the airport, so we can't recommend a lunch venue. But we were very happy with the service and hire vehicle we received from Italy Car Rent, a local agent in Sicily who have an office at Catania Airport (www.italycarrent.com). We couldn't remember our card PIN, and instead of shrugging and declining to hire to us, the agent we dealt with (Giacomo) went to the trouble of getting telephone authorisation instead. Then instead of the SmartFortwo we had booked, he gave us a Hyundai i10 for the same price, and the i10 turned out to be much more suitable for the rural roads of Sicily. Once we completed the transaction, I waited outside the office whilst Paul went back into the airport to buy water. It took Paul longer than expected, and after 10mins Giacomo saw me waiting and came out to check if anything was wrong. It's the little gestures like this that make the difference between good service and memorably good service - we asked for his name so we could write to their Headquarters and sing his praises! We wish you a good trip.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,075 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire catania airport

Little gestures like this that do make the difference between good service and memorably good service paulemargaret!

Europcar is another option.

www.aeroporto.catania.it/page.php…

Vagabonda

Rahway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
329 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire catania airport

Is this company Italy Car Rent usually recommended, Vagabonda? They are coming up cheaper than Hertz for us but I hadn't read about them before.

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire catania airport

Hi all lovely people, i'm visiting Sicily in about a week and seriously considering renting a car (arriving in Catania and leaving from Catania as well). My first choice would be Europcar since they have the best deal and for their popularity in EU.

Now i would like to know are they any good in the area? Or should i consider the bigger names like Hertz, Avis (i have rented cars with Avis in different parts of the world and i was always satisfied with their service)? Also, should i rent the GPS as well ? Or should i buy a sim card with mobile data plans so i could use the map function from the phone instead. The reason i'm asking because the rental fee for the GPS costs more than half the car's rental fee.....so....i'm struggling to decide!!!

I would appreciate if i could get any advice!!!

Really looking forward to the trip!!!!

Thx......AguChagu

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,075 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire catania airport

Welcome to Sicily AguChagu!

You would be fine with Europcar, a SIM card, and a back-up map for those times when a map function might not be accurate.

The Sicilia: TCI.R14 Regional Road Map (ISBN 13: 9788836548279), and Michelin Sicilia #365 (ISBN 13: 9782067126749) are both 1:200.000 scaled, and excellent maps.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,075 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire catania airport

To date have only heard good reports about Italy Car Rent majesty318!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k7393…

Vagabonda

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire catania airport

Hi Vagabonda, thanks for your reply........

So in other words, renting a GPS is not recommended ? Can you recommend any SIM card package / carrier that includes mobile data plans (prefer unlimited access) which i could purchase at the airport ?

I have read from another discussions that driving in Catania is not preferred. So i would like to know if i want to spend two days in Catania, then rent a car for other parts of Sicily, would it still be wise to arrange the pickup and return at CTA ?

Many thanks !!

AguChagu

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,075 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire catania airport

Hi AguChagu,

GPS isn't always reliable everywhere in Sicily, but if you're a strongly dependent GPS driver at home, then hire a GPS, but you've indicated that the GPS would cost more than half the car's rental fee, so this is a decision only you can weigh.

You can't purchase SIM cards at the airports. TIM offers the most comprehensive coverage throughout Sicily.

Store to buy SIM card in or near Catania airport?:

tripadvisor.com/…50181426

And yes, see Catania first. The Alibus 457 runs frequent, inexpensive, and reliable bus service between the airport and Catania. After departing Catania, then return to the airport to hire the car.

Best regards,

Vagabonda

3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire catania airport

Hi Vagabonda,

Thanks for your reply. I'm perfectly fine with the conventional map, the GPS is just a tool for convenience and accuracy. Since i see in other discussions that Catania does not have much to see, perhaps i would spend a day or two there only, therefore i will start my rental afterwards.

Also thank you for your tips for the TIM info, i will try to find it once i settle down !!!

AguChagu

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,075 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire catania airport

Prego AguChagu,

The GPS is a convenience, but not always accurate, not indicating ZTL, not differentiating an alley with steps from a street for cars, not in tunnels...

See Catania's market and historic centre any morning but Sunday.

Then take the Alibus to the airport, and hire the car at the airport.

If also departing from Catania, perhaps hire the car on arrival at the airport, and then end in Catania.

Vagabonda