We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noto vs Ortigia or ?? mid August

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
93 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Noto vs Ortigia or ?? mid August

we currently have reservations in Ortigia ; but now think we may want to stay in Noto or Donalucca for 3 nights before going to Modica. We will not have a car so we need to be able to walk to beach, restaurants etc. This will be our 1st stop after a long flight from USA.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,183 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Noto vs Ortigia or ?? mid August

There's frequent direct bus service from Aeroporto Catania to Siracusa, so Siracusa is your most convenient first base.

Although there is swimming off Ortigia, Siracusa isn't a "beach" destination.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187891-i1413-k765…

You would take a bus to the beaches at Arenella or Fontane Bianche, or plan to stay at Musciara Siracusa Resort with its private beach, or perhaps stay at one of the hotels on Isola, and take the boat service to Ortigia.

tripadvisor.com/…59869008

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187891-i1413-k759…

There's a local seasonal bus that runs from Noto to Lido di Noto, but Noto isn't an optimal base for beach.

Donnalucata is a year-round fishing village with two beaches, a nice lungomare along the sea, small port, a fish market, and public transport.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1097285-i15051-k7…

Vagabonda

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
93 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Noto vs Ortigia or ?? mid August

can you recommend a moderately priced hotel on or near a beach, that isn't more than an hour drive from Catania airport? Ideally somewhere that we can enjoy walking to the beach as well as walking to town.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,183 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Noto vs Ortigia or ?? mid August

August is peak season, the most expensive time of the year to book, and it's late to book for August.

And although an island, seafront hotels aren't as plentiful as you might expect, and the prices aren't moderate in August.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1020247-d64132…

Vagabonda

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
93 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Noto vs Ortigia or ?? mid August

ok, I'm going to stay with my original booking in Ortigia and take a day trip to Noto when i'm in Modica.

I'll only have 2 full days in Ortigia, I'm sure i'll find something to see that's beautiful. Leaving 3 weeks from tomorrow after planning this trip since late last year....so excited. Thank you for all your help!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,183 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Noto vs Ortigia or ?? mid August

Really Siracusa makes sense for your first booking, and it's lovely.

Noto is nearer Ortigia than Modica, and it makes sense to visit Noto from Ortigia, perhaps at sunset one night.

You'll double back from Modica to see Noto. Noto only take s a few hours to see.

Buon viaggio!

Vagabonda

6. Re: Noto vs Ortigia or ?? mid August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 06:16