We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk from Castelmola to Taormina

Which Messina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Walk from Castelmola to Taormina

Hello all, we will be on cruise this summer coming into Messina. I plan to take the ships tour to Taormina that provides the transportation and then several hours on your own in Taormina. I would love to get up to Castelmola and then walk down but am very paranoid of being in a strange place with no language skills and dependant on Cruise timing to get back to port or be left...so I'm looking for some very specific details. I see you can an interbus (15 I think) up to Castelmonla. Where would we pick that bus up at in Taormina? Then one in Castelmonia where would we be dropped off and how do we find the trail from there? And is the trail well marked going down the hill? I have found lots of info about walking up the hill ... but I don't want to do it the hard way...down hill makes more sense....especially in the summer heat.

Any help would be much appreciated- the more detailed the better.

Thanks!!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,151 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk from Castelmola to Taormina

Welcome to Sicily AddiesGrammy!

You would get the Interbus service for Castelmola at Taormina’s bus station.

Taormina's bus station is located near Porta Messina on via L. Pirandello across from the funivia.

planetware.com/map/taormina-map-i-taor.htm

gotaormina.com/en/…public_transport.html

Castelmola is so tiny – You will see markings for the trail.

But there are many ways to walk down to Taormina, even on the road to Madonna della Rocca and then the steps to Taormina.

This earlier thread (and subsequent links) should be helpful.

Elite Servizi:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k4246…

Vagabonda

Edited: 25 February 2011, 20:49
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,116 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk from Castelmola to Taormina

I travelled by bus from Taormina to Castelmola and walked down to Taormina from Castelmola last September.

The bus is extremely easy, they run approximately every hour. There is no need to worry about where to get off as the bus terminates at Castelmola.

When walking down to Taormina from Castelmola (where the bus stop is located) we were initially a little confused as we could not find the path. From memory we walked passed the bus stop and down the hill along the next level. There was no one to be seen with the exception of one local woman. We asked for directions and she just pointed down, no help as we needed the path, did not want to jump! We walked another 30 seconds and saw the path eventually. Once we found the path it was easy.

Here is a photograph of the path at the start from Castelmola:-

https:/…5514565958211129026

It is a very easy route, you cannot go wrong as you are either walking downhill or down steps. The path is not one continuous path down to Taormina, you will have to walk along / across roads and down steps as well. Have a look at my photographs for further info :-

https:/…

Views from Castelmola are stunning, well worth a visit.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk from Castelmola to Taormina

Welsh, when you cross the road(s) how do you know where the start of the remaining path is? Are there signs?

Addies, I must be one of the exceptions, I prefer to walk up then to walk down, because I'm afraid of slipping and falling. I usually "run" up a hill, but walk down slowly. :-)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,151 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk from Castelmola to Taormina

There’s also a trekking path, a true trek!

Vagabonda

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walk from Castelmola to Taormina

Are you teasing me? :-)

Are you saying that that path is paved all the way, unlike the paths in Salina and Cinque Terre(with the exception of via dell'amore)?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,116 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walk from Castelmola to Taormina

I did not see many signs. The roads are quite narrow, twisting and turning. If you walk down a set of steps and the road is at the end you will see that you have to cross the road to continue walking down, (unless you wanted to walk along the road which takes much longer and is not recommended). Once you have crossed the road the steps / path down is usually straight in front on you but sometimes you have looks for it. If in doubt, walk downhill & looks for the path, all roads lead to Rome!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,151 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Walk from Castelmola to Taormina

Yes, it is fairly instinctive – A description…

italyheaven.co.uk/sicily/taorminawalk.html

Have you seen the posting from Taormina’s Tourist Information vteotl?

Click on “Itnerary” – “Porta Messina – Castelmola” or “Porta Catania-South side of Castelmola”:

http://www.gate2taormina.com/

Vagabonda

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walk from Castelmola to Taormina

Thank you, both.

From the photos, the paths are paved. So it's more of walk than a trek.

Vagabonda, from the website, I see that there's a trekking path on the northern part of Lipari. I'll read up on that.

Buona fine settimana.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,151 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Walk from Castelmola to Taormina

Prego vteotl,

There’s a trek as well vteotl – A ‘real’ unpaved trek between Castelmola and Taormina!

Click on “An island walk”:

aasteolie.191.it/Frame-inglese/…20ING.htm

Ciao -

Vagabonda

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,116 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walk from Castelmola to Taormina

The start of the path is paved but there is also lots of steps and some uneven surfaces as well. You will need good shoes. See photo below, have a fantastic time!

https:/…5514565369765348562