We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry/train Messina to Salerno

Which Messina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
672 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry/train Messina to Salerno

I am sorry if I asked this already, getting confused. Is there a ferry train from Messina to Salerno that takes about 5 hours, in september 2014.

I saw something about putting the train on a ferry and crossing the straits of Messina and then on to Salerno.

Assistance Please

Grazie

Veronica

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,699 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry/train Messina to Salerno

Hi Veronica,

Yes, the train is loaded onto the ferry.

Train schedules will update this 14 June.

Enter a day for this upcoming week for the day of the week you plan to travel. Enter Messina and Salerno.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Vagabonda

Edited: 02 June 2014, 01:03
Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
672 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry/train Messina to Salerno

Yhank you Vagabonda, amici

I knew you you would assist my craziness

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,699 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry/train Messina to Salerno

Any time Veronica!

Vagabonda

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
672 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry/train Messina to Salerno

Vagabonda Grazie

PM by chance

Veronica

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,699 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry/train Messina to Salerno

Yes Veronica!

Vagabonda

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
672 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry/train Messina to Salerno

Vagabonda/ all friends online

Departing Palermo to Ragusa or Catania on morning of 20 September, have not decided yet, but I'm think Catania, then we are in the middle of Southern Sicily

we have a train leaving Messina Centrale at 10:15, on 24 September, what I need to know, if we decide to stay in Catania, what train I'm I looking for to connect from Catania to Messina to catch the other train, or does the same train go from Catania to Taormina, to Messina to become the train that gets on the ferry.

. I would like to stay in Catania as I got great rates for 4 nights, at the Best Western, or the International at te airport or should we stay in Taormina for two nights and get a taxi to the train.. This would make it closer to the final destination in Sicily,

We have just gotten news, my husband not feeling well, but at least now we know what it is, and I don't want him to be lifting luggage on and off trains or ferries,

Any opinion of basing, Ragusa, Catania or Taormina, rates really quite different, but my husband comes first, and I want this holiday to be as stress free as possible.

The only one stressing, is me, but what else is new, now thinking of doing tours with guides instead of buses from the base and going on our own

Opinion about basing and the trains or buses to Messina on 24 September to cattch a 10:15 TRAIN at Messina Centrale to get to the ferry and then onto Salerno

Thank You

V

Edited: 15 June 2014, 02:23
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,699 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry/train Messina to Salerno

Hi Veronica,

Just for reference, Catania is not Southern Sicily. Catania is the middle of Eastern Sicily. Ragusa is the provincial seat for Ragusa province, and Ragusa is Southern Sicily.

You would have to check the schedules for the trains from Catania or Taormina to see if the schedules align with the train from Messina, but it's probably the same train, especially if it's an Intercity train.

Proximity to Messina for the train to Salermo isn't of any concern. It doesn't matter how near you are to Messina for your last night for the journey to Salerno. You could take a train from Siracusa, Catania, Taormina, or Messina for Salerno.

So with that in mind, decide if you'd like to base in Catania or Taormina, large and real city (like Palermo) to a beautiful hill town.

As we discussed earlier, the Best Western isn't near Catania's train/bus stations, so this hotel isn't the most convenient hotel for you with mobility issues.

And there's nothing around Catania's airport, so you would only stay near the airport if you were to hire a car.

If you were to stay in Taormina, you could take a taxi to the train station, but many hotels run shuttle service, and Interbus runs the bus service, and there's a very inexpensive local bus shuttle as well from Taormina to the train station.

Catania is a large city, smaller than Palermo, but still a large city.

Given your issues, perhaps save Ragusa for another time, and divide your time between Catania and Taormina, or spend all your nights in either Catania or Taormina. But if you'd really like to see Ragusa, then perhaps divide your time between Ragusa and Catania OR Taormina.

Consider that Palermo and Catania is a very large-city-heavy itinerary with little diversity.....

Vagabonda

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
672 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry/train Messina to Salerno

Vagabonda

thank you for your assistance, it does help ,as always

As I wrote it down to send to you, I saw what I was trying to do in a short time , I will just take a tour or 2 and base in Taormina, already booked.

Thank you, have a exciting and happy summer, as always

Best wishes

Veronica

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,699 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry/train Messina to Salerno

Prego e grazie Veronica!

Basing in Taormina and enjoying an excursion or two is a terrific plan.

Taormina would balance your Palermo city experiences, and you've wanted to return to Taormina from the start.

Surely you and your husband would find one base in Taormina convenient, less stressful, and restful, and then you would be more relaxed for your visit with your family.

There are many possible excursions from Taormina, even to the Aeolian Islands, so you could still see different areas of Sicily.

Best wishes for a lovely summer as well!

Vagabonda

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
672 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry/train Messina to Salerno

Tours companies in Taormina? Hotel Condor,, Hotel Victoria, La Pensione Svizzera ?