We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I Crazy?

Which Palermo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alaska
Level Contributor
820 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Am I Crazy?

I was planning on taking a day trip from Rome to Palermo. I found a great flight deal (approx $55), would arrive early morning and leave in the afternoon. The main purpose of the trip would be to visit the Capuchin Crypts.

Is that too wierd?

Also, if its not too wierd, is there public transportation from the airport to the crypts? How much is it and how long is the trip? If there is not public transit, what about taxis? How much would they cost and how long would it take?

Toronto
Level Contributor
212 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I Crazy?

The Capuchin Crypts are in Rome, so are you going from Palermo to Rome? I really really really don't think it's worth it. You will spend less then 5 minutes in there. It's cool to see but way too much hassle.

Alaska
Level Contributor
820 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I Crazy?

No, there are Capuchin crypts both in Rome and Palermo, I am referring to the ones in Palermo.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,183 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I Crazy?

Take the bus from Palermo’s airport to the city – About an hour.

www.gesap.it/index2.php3?op=212&lang=en

Catacombs in Palermo:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187890-i418-k1908…

Hope to hear what you decide!

Vagabonda

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I Crazy?

I don't think you're crazy at all. That site is one of the things I most look forward to visiting on my upcoming trip to Palermo. I believe you can walk there in 20 minutes or so from the point where the airport bus drops you off.

If you haven't seen it yet, you should find the February 2009 National Geographic article "Where the Dead Don't Sleep," about Sicily's catacombs.

And enjoy a boiled spleen sandwich while you're in Palermo!

Have fun.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,183 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I Crazy?

The Catacombs of the Capuchins are very touristy.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187890-d1…

The National Geographic article, “Where the Dead Don't Sleep” is referenced in the above thread, but here’s the link again.

…nationalgeographic.com/2009/…gill-text

And the above thread also offers transportation information and walking directions.

Pane con la Milza (fried beef spleen) is a specialty in Palermo and Western Sicily.

http://www.bestofsicily.com/mag/art230.htm

Vagabonda

Malta
Level Contributor
150 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I Crazy?

lololol ur not crazy...but u can also visit other places while there :P i have been to the catacombs and they are a bit scary...scary is not the right word...but having all those mummies all hanging for show is a bit sick i think ;) ... but its a way they make income out of dead people. brrrrr

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,183 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I Crazy?

Crass, opportunistic……

Vagabonda

8. Re: Am I Crazy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2010, 07:18