We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long in Palermo?

Danville, California
Level Contributor
198 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
How long in Palermo?

We have two weeks in Sicily. We'll arrive in Catania and make our way to Palermo which will be our departure city. How many days to cover the sights and get the true flavor of Palermo?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,665 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How long in Palermo?

What are your other destinations?

Ideally 3 nights for Palermo with half a day for the Duomo in Monreale, but if some other significant destination were suffering, you could pare Palermo to 2 nights.

Ciao -

Vagabonda

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long in Palermo?

Vagabonda is right-on. Palermo is interesting...but 3 days is about right. One tip: As soon as you get there, check to see if there is a concert at the Theatre Massimo. Last time there we got tickets for Beehtoven's 9th...we got lucky when someone turned in their tickets. Amazing theatre! Palermo also has good shopping...and an amazing market daily, don't miss it.

Malta
Level Contributor
150 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long in Palermo?

Hello there,

Well i have been to Palermo and i must admit (as Vagabonda here said) that 3 days are enough to spend there. You can see Monte Pellegrino, Monreale & take a self tour of Palermo city (alot to see).

It depends with what you are travelling. We used public transport during our week there. Never failed. Maybe, before going to Palermo, you wanna go for a day in Cefalu & one in Agrigento (to see the Greek temples which are awesome) and 2 days in Trapani (visit Segesta on your way to Trapani & when at Trapani you can go up Erice?

We lodged for one week in a Palermo Hotel - Hotel Verdi (pls read my review on this hotel) ---> then we used public transport to visit other places and always ended the day at Palermo. So maybe I can help you plan your week. Mine was really full and it all went well. Ask Vagabonda here. :))

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,665 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How long in Palermo?

Because of good public transport links, Palermo is a convenient base for striking out on day excursions as chatter28 did, but if you intent to stay in the city for the purpose of exploring the city, for a glimpse of Palermo old and new, in a day you could visit the Palazzo dei Normanni with its very beautiful Cappella Palatina, Palermo’s Duomo, the market in Ballarò, the Museo Archeologico Regionale, some shopping on Via Libertà, and La Kalsa. Enjoy lunch along the way and dinner around piazza Marina or Politeama, and Palermo’s active nightlife.

And at some point in your 2-3 days, not to miss the Duomo in Monreale.

Vagabonda

5. Re: How long in Palermo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2011, 06:18