We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monreale

California
Level Contributor
355 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Monreale

What are the opening hours for the duomo in Monreale in May? I read different hours depending on the source. My main concern is whether they close for an extended lunch hour because we plan to travel there from Palermo by public bus and our thought is to go to a market in Palermo first.

California
Level Contributor
355 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Monreale

Does the 389 go to central Palermo? After spending time at Monreale, we are thinking of walking around Palermo.

Here's my one day itinerary: go to Ballero, get bus to Monreale, visit the cathedral, have lunch, return to Palermo to walk around. I was thinking of adding the beach (Mondello?) but I don't think there is enough time. Our ship leaves at 6 pm.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Monreale

Yes, the 389 goes to central Palermo. The AMAT site is currently being updated, but you could find the route and bus stops by clicking on “Trova linee” and entering “389”.

http://www.amat.pa.it/

There's no time for Mondello, and there’s so much to see in Palermo!

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Monreale

Here's your required link ( Linee, Percorsi e Orari) - PIAZZA INDIPENDENZA would position you well for exploring Palermo. Begin with the Palazzo dei Normanni and the Cappella Palatina.

www.amat.pa.it/index.php…

Vagabonda

California
Level Contributor
355 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Monreale

Thanks Vagabonda. I think Palermo will be a good day! What do you think of their HOHO bus? That's a possibility too. It goes to Monreale.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Monreale

Thanks, vagabonda, for distinguishing the hours of operation of the Cathedral from its Cloisters (post #8). I naively assumed the same hours of operation for both.

We certainly shall watch out for our belongings on bus 389 also.

Edited: 04 May 2012, 16:04
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Monreale

Ciao TravelingTraveler,

Palermo/Monreale would be a very good day TravelingTraveler, and you would appreciate the ease of transport with City Sightseeing Palermo combined with the Monreale line.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187890-d1…

Palermo Bus # 389:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k5383…

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Monreale

Niente Cinti attorney - That's a reasonable assumption, but Sicily is complicated and complex! :-)

Watch for the old man walking around the bus; the businessman in a suit; the mother with a baby; someone with a newspaper; someone who drops something in front of you - The person behind you has just picked your pockets; any confusion that could be a distraction - There are your pickpockets!

Vagabonda

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,317 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Monreale

Ah yes, the kind elderly gentlemen who assisted us onto a bus in a big crowd, and suddenly the crowd was not there and neither was Nick's wallet...with his driving licence...just before a 6 week driving holiday around Italy.

How fortunate he had his IDP.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Monreale

Che vergogna!!!!!

Vagabonda

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Monreale

My father (who is 82) is coming to Palermo for a week next week. He alway travels independently and I have been using this site to get information to help him.

I am a little confused on buses to Monreale. I have downloaded the AMAT 389 timetable but it just gives what looks like starting times from Monreale presumably as the route is circular?

I have also found an AST bus from Stazione Centrale. Is this still runnning? My father read somewhere that there are no longer any buses to Monreale due to a dispute. Surely this can't apply to the 389?

The HOHO bus has been mentioned in this thread but the site is confusing. Would this be worth pursuing just to get to Monreale?

Many thanks