We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Determining size/type of rental car for 4 adults

Which Palermo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Determining size/type of rental car for 4 adults

Departing from Palermo airport, 4 adults (plus luggage) will be traveling for a month all over Sicily. The limited information I have been able to obtain from a few car rental companies so far is not sufficiently clear to help make a choice of vehicle. Any suggestions? Know anything about a Ford Kuga or Opel Zefira or similar?? Grazie mille.

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
226 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Determining size/type of rental car for 4 adults

Not sure about those car types but can I suggest you book the smallest 4 door car possible. Driving around eastern Sicily the last few days, based in Siracusa, there is plenty of double and triple parking (with hazard lights on of course) with not much room left to drive down the road.

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Determining size/type of rental car for 4 adults

We get class C if we are taking 4 people on short trips without luggage. When we've had guests for longer trips, class D was more comfortable. If you look the models up on Wikipedia, you can relate the dimensions of unfamiliar models to ones you know.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Determining size/type of rental car for 4 adults

We had booked an Audi A3 or equivalent for our visit and were upgraded to a Ford Kuga, far too big for two of us, but my husband found it a very comfortable drive, particularly on longer runs. I was supposed to drive but was pretty freaked at getting the thing through narrow spaces so never sat behind the wheel. Plenty of space in the boot for luggage, it is a SUV type of vehicle. the Opel Zefira I think has smaller boot space, but you can check on line.

United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Determining size/type of rental car for 4 adults

Also be aware that when you choose a car you are choosing a "type". It's always listed as "similar". I booked a 4 door Ford Fiesta on a recent trip and tried to give me a 2 door Fiat 500 as "similar" which they are definitely NOT. I couldn't even get 1 suitcase in the "trunk" of that car.

This might be helpful:

…blogspot.com/2011/01/driving-in-italy-car-c…

TAB

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Determining size/type of rental car for 4 adults

Thanks TABarrett. The blogspot photos are great and I wonder whether you know what vehicle (or similar) is shown with the 4 - 24" bags, 1-22" roller and 3 carry-ons plus backpack. That is probably about what we are looking at for 4 people and a month in Sicily. Anyone's input much appreciated, as always!

United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Determining size/type of rental car for 4 adults

I'm sorry but I am very bad with car models. If you can figure out what the blue SUV type car is above the luggage photo, that's the type of car it was. It was similar in size to what my RAV4 is. The other car in our party with similar luggage and 4 adults was a FIAT Grand Punto.

I just turned in a Ford Fiesta 4 dr that would hold the people but would be tight on luggage.

TAB

Edited: 05 November 2012, 23:22
7. Re: Determining size/type of rental car for 4 adults

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2013, 10:16