We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving and Departing from Silicy

Sydney
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Arriving and Departing from Silicy

I will be holidaying in Sicily for about three weeks in September this year.

Arriving:

I intend to take a flight from Verona to Palermo. There is a flight by meridiana. How reliable is Meridiana ? I have seen feedback that they cancel flights and are late. Is this true ?

Is it better to travel say wth alitalia to rome and then to palermo ?

Departing:

I intend to take an airitaly flight from catania to naples. Again how reliable is airitaly ?

Thanks

Gary

Sydney Australia

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving and Departing from Silicy

There really aren’t too many differences in experiences between airlines these days. Italians fly the low-cost domestic airlines all the time. But Alitalia offers the most reliability and the most frequent flights and would be your first consideration.

tripadvisor.com/…45885479

Before flying to Rome and then flying onward to Palermo, take the direct Alitalia flight from Verona to Catania, and then take the direct SAIS Autolinee bus service from Catania's airport to Palermo.

Air Italy and Alitalia fly direct from Catania to Naples – Popular routes, flown all the time!

Vagabonda

Canada
Level Contributor
670 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving and Departing from Silicy

I am encountering a similar problem with looking at flights from Rome to Palermo. Alitalia is 2 or 3 times more expensive than the discount airlines even when you add on the cost of seats, checked bags etc. But alot of reviews on airlines seem to say that Easyjet and Blu Express are not reliable and frequently have delayed flights and cancelled flights. Such a dilemna as to whether or not to save money but risk sitting in an airport for many hours?

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who has flown Rome to Palermo on Easyjet or Blu Express.

Thank you.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,869 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving and Departing from Silicy

There aren’t too many differences in experiences between airlines these days.

easyJet is an excellent low-cost carrier!

And book Alitalia on the Italian (Promo fares) website for the lowest fares.

Save Money By Booking Alitalia Flights “Like a Local”:

roninrome.com/transportation/booking-alitali…

Vagabonda

Canada
Level Contributor
670 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving and Departing from Silicy

Thank you Vagabonda, that was absolutely the best advice!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,869 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving and Departing from Silicy

Prego Lexie08!! :-)

All the best -

Vagabonda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving and Departing from Silicy

I have booked on Meridiana (naples/catania)and had my flight cancelled with no notice and lost my money. I had to then organise a very long train ride. I suggest from Aus go with Alitalia, it's more expensive for a reason. I think there is a ticket you can buy for Alitalia at travel agents in Australia where you can fly to 3 or 4 destinations within Italy for a fixed price. (it makes it less expensive)

Consider flying into Catania then getting the overnight ferry from Palermo to Naples, you save a nights accommodation and as the ferry leaves late form Palermo and arrives early in Naples you get a full day at both places.

Canada
Level Contributor
670 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving and Departing from Silicy

Thank you Brucefil, this is a great suggestion as well. Now I have decisions to make!

8. Re: Arriving and Departing from Silicy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Palermo