We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollars to Euro's and travel cards......

Which Palermo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pelham, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Dollars to Euro's and travel cards......

We are 4 families traveling to Italy in July 2013. We are cruising and then training to other Italy destinations.

My question is what is the best way to get Euros? Some of the excursions we have booked require cash payment (or Travelers Checks) at the end of the tour. So a credit card is not an option.

I am not a fan of carrying large sums of any currency anywhere.

Do prepaid debit cards offer the best way to get Euros. Are the ATM's bank specific? Are they pretty plentiful? We will be in Rome Pisa and Pompeii....

Most of the posts on TA say to use a debit card for Euros.... and use credit cards with no or small transaction fees. Correct??

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollars to Euro's and travel cards......

ATM's are plentiful in Europe and the best way to obtain Euros since the exchange rate is the best for the day.

The ATM's do not charge local fees for withdrawing money. Check with your bank if they wave the fees for withdrawing from other ATM's.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,402 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollars to Euro's and travel cards......

The only people who think those travel cards are a good deal are Brits, and I can only think that there is something about their banking systems and fees that is different than in the US.

I myself get some euros from my bank before I leave and then replenish from ATMs, but I use my VISA cards everywhere that will take them and then pay off the balance when I return to the US.

I carry all my euros and credit/debit cards in a money belt under my clothes.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollars to Euro's and travel cards......

Use your ATM bank card to get Euros from the Bancomat( ATM in Italian) machines. Do not use prepaid debit cards, no need to pay extra fees for that. Please remember to call your bank and let them know you will be on travel and will be using your ATM and credit cards so they will authorize your transactions.

The debit card being referred to is actually your bank card.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollars to Euro's and travel cards......

Welcome to Sicily pam n!

Yes, use a debit card for euro and use credit cards with no transition fees.

ATMs (bancomats) are the best way to get euro – ATM’s In Italy:

roninrome.com/%20living-in-italy/atms-in-ita…

You would regret traveller's cheques since they are not accepted.

Vagbonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,251 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollars to Euro's and travel cards......

Travelers Cheques:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…50230843

Vagabonda

England
Level Contributor
329 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollars to Euro's and travel cards......

From a British point of view, I get charged a 4.25% of what I am spending/withdrawing , so using my card abroad is not cheap, however it is the safest and most convenient option.

There was a bank in the UK that did not charge for overseas use, however this has changed and they now do. So, because we get charged by our banks, I understand why people look at other options.

I think it comes down to how much money you will spend and how frequently you will use your bank card. I'm pretty sure that travel cards, charge a fee when loading it with money, but not when you are using it, and you are probably slightly disadvantaged by a lower exchange rate at the time of loading.

I myself will need to pay the owner of the villa I will be renting €800 in cash, and I do not want to be carrying that money with me, so I will withdraw it just before I meet him. So for me to withdraw €800 from by bank account, it will cost me €34, so I will probably look at a more economical way of doing this.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,402 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollars to Euro's and travel cards......

4,25% of $5000= $212 for the privelege of unlimited access to all your money. Those Travel cards must charge for use (either when you buy the card or use it) or institutions wouldn't offer them, so we would not be comparing $425 to zero. Maybe when your vacation does not include a big item like a trans-Atlanitc plane ticket 4.25% looks like lot of money. . For my VISA credit card at Wells Fargo has a currency translation fee of 3% but I get 2% of my purchases back , so the effective rate is 1%.

When I rent apts in Italy, I get all the euros I need to pay the rent before I leave (I pay a fee and the exchange rate is usually not all the bad, but not great either). I carry the euros in a money belt under my clothes during the flight and on the way to the apt. One could rely on an ATM to get the euros at the ATM at the airport if one raises one's limit at their bank. On paper this can look like a good option. One really needs to have than money when one arrives at the apt. From time to time I have had issues with foreign ATMs, where on one Saturday no ATM in Rome that tried would spit out any money, then for no apparent reason the next day, it is no problemo. Sometimes a particular ATM is broken and you have walk around and search for another one that will work with your card. My experience is that not all banks with an ATM work with my debit card, but I am uncertain why. ATMs in tourist areas ahve a higher % chance of working than ones in more local areas. My myself prefer not to take chances on having problems with accessing the money when I know for sure I am going to need it when I arrive for the rent. As I understand the scenario with the Travel Card you will still have to go to ATM to deliver cash to the villa owner when you land,

In Paris (unlike Italy) more landlords take Paypal, I and jsut use my credit card through Paypal to pay the landlords. Some landlords in Paris take credit cards period, without having to use Paypal at all.

Can you reload the Travel cards remotely if you spend all the money in them? I guess if there was money left in them after your trip you could spend that locally, like I used to do ages ago when I had Travelor's checks left over?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,251 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollars to Euro's and travel cards......

Perhaps of interest Stu26England - Bank debit card or Travel card?:

tripadvisor.com/…50080675

Vagabonda

9. Re: Dollars to Euro's and travel cards......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 05:16