We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy Jet Hold Baggage & Carry On Questions.

Which Palermo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maine
Level Contributor
39 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Easy Jet Hold Baggage & Carry On Questions.

Hi Friends,

My family's planning to book a flight with Easy Jet from Rome FCO to Palermo this December, coming from the USA via Aer Lingus. For safety on time and connections, we'll have 3-4 hours between arrival in FCO and the Easy Jet flight to Palermo. No problem.

Question A: "checking a bag" / "Hold Baggage" with Easy Jet and the Palermo Airport. I have read online that there are more frequent problems with checked luggage at the Palermo airport than other locations throughout the world. Is this the case?

Have people had, or heard of particular problems with Easy Jet checked luggage on flights from FCO to Palermo getting lost for days?

Can we be optimistic that for a nonstop flight from Rome to Palermo we will be able to retrieve our bags at Palermo baggage claim safely if we check them?

We have some carry ons that are 22" by past airline standards, but WITH wheels and handles become more like 24". I'm assuming this bag will not work with Easy Jet. I'd like to not have to go buy a new bag right now and instead pay ahead and check the bag (for Easy Jet, even though we'll probably be able to carry it as carry on with Aer Lingus), but I want to be sure we get that bag once we get to our destination!

Question B: Is it really just one bag on Easy Jet? I can't take a small 12" x 6" x 4" hand bag for example to put under the seat along with one's 50 x 40 x 20cm or 56 x 45 x 25cm that goes overhead?

"They say, Cabin bags: All fares. ONE piece of cabin baggage per person."

Any experience reports and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

http://www.easyjet.com/en/planning/baggage

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2327677/Better-…

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,654 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy Jet Hold Baggage & Carry On Questions.

No guarantees, never any guarantees - FCO hasn’t been the best with sending along luggage to Sicily, and this is the fault of the ground crew, not the airline.

So be sure to include your name and hotel contact information both outside and inside your luggage. And also carefully pack your carry-on luggage with several days’ worth of clothing and all essentials like medications.

And yes, it is just one bag - Your handbag is a bag!

Your cabin bags are too large by European standards, 20 inches in length.

Vagabonda

Edited: 24 August 2013, 16:50
Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy Jet Hold Baggage & Carry On Questions.

When I fly with Easyjet I can take one piece of cabin bag plus my purse or handbag.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,849 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy Jet Hold Baggage & Carry On Questions.

With Easyjet as I read it ONE only no hndbags etc,

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,884 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy Jet Hold Baggage & Carry On Questions.

I don't know what it could possibly mean whether other people have or haven't had problems with luggage going astray on one particular routing with one particular airline. It is like the constant queries about safety in different cities - there is no way of knowing whether what happened to others might happen to you!

Hold baggage allowance with Easyjet is of course by weight, not dimensions: http://www.easyjet.com/planning/baggage

But if considering taking bag on board instead of checking it in, this is only guaranteed if bag measures no more than 50 x 40 x 20cm including handles and wheels; it says you can try to take one measuring 56 x 45 x 25cm including handles and wheels, but this MIGHT have to go in the hold anyway,

The additional information provided under "More information on cabin bags" on http://www.easyjet.com/planning/cabin-baggage says "Your one ‘cabin bag’ covers a bag, laptop case, brief case, HANDBAG, bumbag (NB "fanny pack" to N. Americans), rucksack, CARRIER BAG or wedding dress carrier. Motorcycle helmets are also allowed as/within cabin baggage (providing they follow the relevant size dimensions). Please note that all these items will be classed as your one cabin bag."

On the other hand, you can take, in addition to your bag: ".. an overcoat, shawl, umbrella, crutches or walking frame/stick and one standard size bag of duty free goods from the departure airport. This is in addition to the one item allowance." If you do use the "duty-free" shop - which won't be free of duties, for an internal flight, but it can be a useful means of avoiding the liquids rule, which doesn't apply to wine, cosmetics etc. purchased at the airport - you could possibly try asking the shop if you could put your handbag in the carrier bag before they seal it!

Otherwise, if taking a bigger bag on board, you need one you can fit your handbag into even if this is just for boarding. If necessary, stuff things in your pockets after security control! Or you might get away with a small bag slung under your coat or jacket.

Edited: 24 August 2013, 17:04
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,771 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy Jet Hold Baggage & Carry On Questions.

While you may just possibly get away with a handbag/purse in addition to your one item of cabin baggage. this is never possible on the EasyJet flights which I take regularly. The easiest procedure is to slip your handbag/purse into your hand baggage while in the queue/line for boarding, and then take it out again before putting the baggage in the overhead locker.

Maine
Level Contributor
39 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy Jet Hold Baggage & Carry On Questions.

All good discussion and input - thank you! I'm going to measure some of my friends bags tomorrow to see if their bags sizes fit the more restricted carryon limit dimensions with easy jet. And I will see about rethinking how not to need a small handbag or find a way to fit it in the ONE carryon. Thank you to all.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,654 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy Jet Hold Baggage & Carry On Questions.

Yes, it is only one cabin bag - 50 x 40 x 20 cm = 20 x 16 x 8 inches.

Vagabonda

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,086 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easy Jet Hold Baggage & Carry On Questions.

the carry on size is much smaller than a typical US 22 inch carry on. I have seen a passenger forced to last minute check a bag that was not very large but had wheels that didn't fit the cage. it is VERY expensive to check at last minute. if I were doing carry on, I would probably use a duffel that could be jammed into the cage rather than a wheeled bag.

one bag means one bag, not one bag and another bag. enforcement is of course not always perfect, but I would not count on having a second bag. if you could not get your purse into your carry on, you would be forced to check the carry on at the last minute at extortionate prices.

Easyjet means what they say and are VERY clear on their web site as to their bag requirements.

We checked bags of 20 kg. (you can average them across related passengers) and used messenger bags for our electronics, cameras, meds and books i.e. valuable and or heavy stuff, when on a 3 month trip in Europe. it went smoothly.

I'd probably check my bag but haven't had the experience of Palermo baggage handling.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,654 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Easy Jet Hold Baggage & Carry On Questions.

Yes, the carry-on size is much smaller than the typical American size, and I often see passengers told to check bags they expected to carry-on the plane, so it's best to know what to expect, and to pack accordingly.

You would very much appreciate a well-packed carry-on if your checked bag doesn't arrive with you.

Vagabonda

Edited: 24 August 2013, 17:53
Glasgow
Level Contributor
194 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easy Jet Hold Baggage & Carry On Questions.

Easyjet are extremely fussy about the one bag rule. No extra bag of Duty Free and they have become much stricter about the size of the bag but there are no weight restrictions. If you are checking in bags, be sure to do this online as if you have to do this at the airport it is much more expensive.

A lot of seasoned Easyjet passengers have jackets with very large pockets and also travel wearing several layers of clothes!! The lady in front of me at the check-in recently obviously had a bag on her back under her jacket! Good luck