We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car Rentals in Palermo

Northampton...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
car Rentals in Palermo

We will be driving around Sicily for 10 days in June. Can anyone suggest a reasonable car rental company at the palermo airport. I am wondering whether to drive into and stay in Palermo the first and last night or stay in Monreale. Any adivce?

Thank you

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,957 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: car Rentals in Palermo

Book your vehicle from a reputable broker like Auto Europe who deals with internationally known suppliers like Avis, Hertz, or Europcar. It's very important to hire from a reputable supplier in Sicily.

www.gesap.it/index.php…

When booking your vehicle, ask about the supplier and avoid Maggiore, Autoeuropa (not AutoEurope), Sicily by Car, Locauto, Thrifty, Advantage, Firefly, Dollar….

Take the bus from the airport to Palermo and stay in Palermo. Hire the car after you depart Palermo.

Avoid driving in both Palermo and Monreale.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187890-i418-k7188…

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,957 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car Rentals in Palermo

Staying near Monreale; parking near duomo

tripadvisor.com/…55840239

Vagabonda

3. Re: car Rentals in Palermo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 11:35
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,957 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: car Rentals in Palermo

Thank you and all the best!

Vagabonda

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: car Rentals in Palermo

AVOID FIREFLY CAR RENTAL!

I have just had a really bad experience with Firefly car rental at Palermo airport.

To start with, they advertise themselves as being Palermo Airport, but in fact are based some 15 mins away in Cinisi, though there is a regular navette. WHY DIDN'T FIREFLY TELL US THIS BEFORE I HAD BOOKED AND PAID???

They told me not to break or lose my key. I laughed, as you might imagine! But then I did have a genuine accident with the key and water got into it so I could not open the door using the remote. I discovered that whilst I could open the door manually and could turn on the engine, I could not move off. I learned later that the water destroyed the memory of the key so it did not recognise the car, the car was immobilised. I checked out the manual (only written in Italian without any English translation) and found that the key must not be left in the sun or dropped. It did not mention water. We don't all know about such sophisticated and dangerous keys, so WHY ON EARTH DID FIREFLY NOT SPELL THIS OUT???

I had to get a break-down lorry via Hertz (theirs was the assistance number on the key and all car documents). I then got a taxi as instructed by Herz and went to Hertz at the airport. They then told me to go back to Cinisi Firefly. At Firefly I found they had no idea about my mishap and it took 30 mins for them to trace what had happened to the car. Meanwhile I was reprimanded over and over again for calling Herz, and I was told Firefly had nothing to do with Herz at all - whereas I later discovered they are the low cost subsidiary of Herz. WHY DID FIREFLY DENY ALL CONNECTION WITH HERZ???

That settled they were now told the problem was water in the key, and I was now told I may not be able to have a replacement car after all because they did not give replacement cars when the problem was the key. The receptionist needed to get permission from a Giulio, but this Giulio was not answering the phone. This went on for another 30 minutes. I was a woman on my own, aged 67, staying some 60 kms away in a place that could only be reached with a car, it was now 8.00 pm and dark, and they were threatening to abandon me without a car in Palermo (via the airport). IF THEY ARE PREPARED TO BE SO PUNITIVE, SHOULD THEY NOT MAKE IT CLEAR WHEN ONE PICKS UP THE CAR???

I was left shaken and shocked, though in the end, maybe only because I speak pretty fluent Italy, someone else there assumed responsibility for me being given a replacement car.

When I returned the car I found that although I had paid €150 to have 100% insurance cover, this 100% did not cover anything to do with keys. So the whole mishap cost me some €300 - a lot of money to me. WHY WAS I NOT GIVEN A DOCUMENT WHICH GAVE ALL THE DETAILS OF THE INSURANCE. I WAS GIVEN NOTHING.

London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car Rentals in Palermo

I booked with Autoeuropa- SICILY BY CAR. I have had a similar experience to everyone else.

DO NOT BOOK WITH SICILY BY CAR.

They charged me a ridiculous amount, after returning my deposit they then took money from my credit card without my consent.

They sent images of damage to the car. You can't even see the damage. The photos are full of light shadows and are in black and white. From the photos anything could have happened, it looks like the car has been hit by a truck.

In actual fact there are 2 tiny scratches with they haven't even managed to capture, probably because they are so small.

We DID NOT do these scratches ourselves. They have not provided photos prior to our rental and have absolutely no proof that it was us.

We cannot get hold of them. I cannot get through to their customer service number, however if you ring the booking line someone answers straight away. The lady is very rude and unhelpful just saying that they have 30 days to reply. I have sent four emails and no one has replied however they have managed to send me all of the paper work, and 30 days has passed.

I am extremely disgusted by this, i will not be recommending this company to anyone which is a shame as we have many friends with holiday homes in Sicily who are always hiring cars, this is a big loss for Sicily by Car as everyone knows now.

If they had made an attempt to make contact to discuss it or to explain themselves that would be different.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,957 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car Rentals in Palermo

Thank you both for your reports tdeb2014 and Abigail D, and yes everyone, ask about the supplier when hiring a car and avoid Maggiore, Autoeuropa (not Auto Europe), Sicily by Car, Locauto, Thrifty, Advantage, Firefly, Dollar, Italy Car Rent....

Best regards,

Vagabonda

8. Re: car Rentals in Palermo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Palermo