We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sicily

Which Palermo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sicily

We are fit 70 year olds. We will be in Paris for the tennis next May and will have a week in Malta enroute and are considering a week in Sicily also. We are well travelled but have not visited either Island. I have friends from Malta and therefore am aware of the area, but Sicily is a bit of a concern. Some forums depict it as a problem, particularly for elderly visitors. We love history and usually enjoy walking and exploring. Can anyone provide a truthful opinion on travel in Sicily (based in Palermo) or should we forget this idea?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
303 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sicily

My childhood friend and I (both 70) just returned from 45 days in Italy. We spent 2 weeks in Sicily and loved every minute. The scenery was breathtaking, the people were really friendly and helpful. We divided most of our time between Ortigia and Palermo, with short stops in Trapani, Marsala and Corleone. Not sure what problems you have been advised of, but we didn't encounter any.

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sicily

Sandy, we are a group of 68-70 years also wanting to spend time in Sicily. I have visited before with a tour but we were hoping to do it on our own. That is the question, how much traveling around were you able to do using buses, trains and the possibility of private drivers? I found when last visiting, that English is not as widely spoken as in Italy.

Thank you for any information you can share.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,241 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sicily

(Perhaps) Welcome to Sicily Trelawarren!

Sicily is hilly and with steps, but you are fit, so what is your concern? Pick pocketing and petty theft can be an issue.

But if arriving from Malta, why stay in Palermo?

Air Malta flies from Malta to Catania, and then you could base in Siracusa, or Virtu Ferries crosses from Malta to Pozallo in Ragusa province, and then you might see this UNESCO Val di Noto area, as well as Siracusa.

Then perhaps depart from Catania to Paris.

thethinkingtraveller.com/thinksicily/travel-…

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,241 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sicily

Welcome back Sandy130143, and thank you for your report!

Best regards,

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,241 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sicily

Welcome (back) to Sicily vacationbound2013!

If you don't plan to hire a car, then plan a route along convenient public transport lines.

So you would be able to travel around a great deal, and see Sicily's top attractions via public transport. Typically buses are more reliable than trains, but there are a few exceptions where trains are faster than buses.

English is spoken in tourist areas, but language usually is not a problem for tourists, and you would find locals very helpful.

Vagabonda

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sicily

Many thanks

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sicily

Thank you, Vagabonda. Looking forward to re-visiting Sicily. As our planning begins, I'm sure we will be asking many questions.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
303 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sicily

My friend and I speak a little Italian, very little, but were able to navigate around Sicily with no problem. People were very happy to give us directions or call upon their friends whose English was better than theirs. We took buses from Ortigia to Noto, Siracusa to Palermo to Trapani etc. Most ticket agents had some command of English. Sicily was the highlight of our trip; definitely go for it. Found that Sicilians were among the kindest people we met in all of Italy!

Vagabonda, thanks for the welcome back.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sicily

This is why I love Trip Advisor - so many well travelled people who are willing to share their advice. I thank you all for your response, we can now go ahead and plan next years trip. So much good advice to work on...

Many thanks to all

10. Re: Sicily

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 18:21