We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Florence to Palermo

Which Palermo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
136 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
from Florence to Palermo

I've looked at so many ways to get to Sicily from Florence that I'm dizzy! I was trying to avoid flying but finally to make things easy, looked at flights. There is a night flight leaving FLR at 8:55 p.m. and getting to Palermo at 10:10 p.m. for $54 which seems really reasonable to me. But...I'm concerned about the 10 o'clock arrival time as far as then getting into Palermo and to my hotel. In reading about Palermo, it sounds like a mighty big, in some areas iffy, city for a solo, 71-year old female traveler.

So, are there any hotels at the airport for a one night stay, and since that doesn't really appeal to me, can someone tell me what a taxi would cost to a hotel near the train station, or a bus or ???

Just makes me a little nervous thinking about arriving in downtown Palermo at that time of night.

Thanks!

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from Florence to Palermo

Hi. You could simply stay in a safer and lively area, like Politeama and surroundings. The airport bus has a convenient stop right off the square,(Emerico Amari) there's no need to stay near the train station. Politeama/Massimo theatre area is very central, lively at night and busy with tourists and locals alike...11pm isn't very late in Palermo.

Take the bus to get there, th etaxi would be much more pricey.

www.prestiaecomande.it

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from Florence to Palermo

The area offers many accommodation options of various price ranges, from hotels to B&B, some of them very well rated.

Level Contributor
136 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from Florence to Palermo

Thanks, Biondo - the only reason I mentioned the train station is because I'll be heading to Siracusa after a couple of days in Palermo and thought it would be handy to be near the station. But I suppose anywhere I stay my hotel could tell me the best way to get to the station when I'm ready to leave.

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from Florence to Palermo

Prego! Politeama area is very central, with urban bus connections to the train station, and taxi stops also if you want. Diistances aren't big in Palermo centre anyway, it's just a bit more than 1 km in a straight line (along via Roma) to the station.

Level Contributor
136 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from Florence to Palermo

Your advice has been extremely helpful in making up my mind to fly. :) I went to the link you provided to do a trial booking and am a little confused. I checked "one way" cause I'm not sure how I'll leave Sicily, then put in my date and had this list to choose from for where I'd be getting the bus (at least I THINK that's what it's listing):

Aeroporto Falcone Borsellino - Palermo

Cianciana - Palermo

S.Cristina G. - Palermo

S. Stefano Q. - Sciacca

So I chose Aeroporto - Palermo and said "book now" and it went to a screen that listed the different times so I selected 2230 and then it showed the ticket as:

Departure: 17/10/2014

Departure Time Departure Time

Aeroporto Falcone Borsellino 22:30 Palermo - Via Belgio n. 2 22:50

What confused me is both of them being a "departure". But I'm assuming I would get off at Via Belgio or perhaps at the square you mentioned, is that correct? The cost was only 6.5E so another very helpful tip.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,151 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: from Florence to Palermo

You would absolutely fly!

But you might also fly from Pisa to Sicily.

Alitalia or Air One from Pisa to Catania, an Ryanair flies from Pisa to Palermo or Trapani.

There's easy transport from Florence to the airport in Pisa.

pisa-airport.com/aeroporto_di_pisa_194.html

But if you were to fly from Florence to Palermo, you would not stay around the airport, or the train station.

biondo's suggestion for the area around Politeama is perfect.

There's easy, frequent, and convenient bus service from the airport to Politeama, and Palermo is a late-night city.

You could also prearrange a transfer from the airport to your hotel.

Take the Prestia e Comandè bus from Palermo’s airport to Palermo.

http://www.prestiaecomande.it/

Click on “Aereoporto Falcone Borsellino – Palermo”:

www.prestiaecomande.it/…

And your stop is Palermo - Via E. Amari n. 170 (Politeama).

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,151 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: from Florence to Palermo

Costo biglietto corsa singola 6,30 euro.

Vagabonda

8. Re: from Florence to Palermo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 07:16