We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Palermo like Naples?

London, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Is Palermo like Naples?

I really liked Naples, in particular the old town part of it. Obviously, the sights, baroque churches, etc were amazing, but even more so was the atmosphere of the lively streets and locals just going about their business, selling fish, driving scooters with one hand while holding pizza in the other, drying laundry.. all in the middle of a UNESCO heritage site.

So this is roughly what I'd like to see again. I don't think I would find those super-polished cities like Florence or Pisa as exciting as Naples. Put it differently - Sevilla, Naples and Porto are my top 3 cities to visit in Europe.

Then obviously, I'd like some sights, too. Churches, museums, ancient Roman sites perhaps.

Is Palermo for me?

Additionally, how large would you say is the old/medieval town part of Palermo? One thing I didn't like about Naples was that the old town was essentially limited to one or two main streets. Once outside the historic quarter, everything else was just concrete and not that exciting. How does Palermo compare?

thanks!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Palermo like Naples?

Welcome to Sicily pawelx!

Yes, Palermo has similarities to Naples, so if you liked Naples, you would probably like Palermo, and the historic centre is quite extensive.

http://www.seepalermo.com/

Ciao -

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
1,272 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Palermo like Naples?

According to your taste, you should go to Palermo as soon as possible!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Palermo like Naples?

Some people actually prefer Palermo, whose central area is not nearly as extensive as that of Naples.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Palermo like Naples?

Here's an idea of Palermo's Old Town.

frommers.com/destinations/palermo/860203#sth…

Click on this map to enlarge.

frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-20…

Vagabonda

London, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Palermo like Naples?

thanks Vagabonda - when I first saw "Piazza Bellini" on the map you sent me I thought I was looking at Naples, again;)

So it looks like Palermo will keep me busy for about the same amount of time as Naples i.e. one full day and another morning perhaps

cheers

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Palermo like Naples?

I think that both Palermo and Napoli can keep you busy for one week.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Palermo like Naples?

Prego pawelx,

For all the similarities between Palermo and Naples, there are dissimilarities as well. Each is its own special city.

Yes, Palermo can keep you busy for much longer than a day and a half!

http://www.provincia.palermo.it/turismo/

…palermo.it/turismo/tesori_d_arte_a_palermo/…

Vagabonda

Edited: 29 August 2014, 11:57
8. Re: Is Palermo like Naples?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2015, 05:16