We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

Which Syracuse hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

We have explored and learned so much on the other thread but now it's a bit large, we'll continue here as we firm up our plans.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

You can't make up this stuff - Life is stranger than fiction!

Vagabonda

Edited: 21 January 2011, 22:27
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

...Hi Vagabonda, not sure whether this travel guide is on the very long list you provided for Sicily, but just received an 'Insight Guide' of Sicily, its 2009 edition so bound to be out of date somewhere I guess, it had no reviews on the booksellers website and I'm no expert, but it seems a wonderful publication....Jeannette will go gaga for it....... just thought it was worth a mention.

This info from it tickled me....quote...

Sicilian politicians regularly proclaim the sighting of an 'economic miracle'. In the 1960s it was oil; in the 1970s it was greenhouses and reservoirs; in the 1980s it was a building boom; now it is fast expanding tourism.

The locals can be enterprising when it suits them. In 1992 European Community inspectors were outraged to find they had been fooled by "walking" olive trees. In order to gain extra susidies, farmers planted their trees in tubs and moved them from field to field as the EC counting team advanced.

Enterprising or what!!! :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

Ciao Les,

The “Sicily Insight Guide” is a wonderful photo guide – The Insight Guide website lists….

Sicily Insight Regional Guide

Editor: Bryan Bell

Binding: Paperback

ISBN: 978-981-282-093-8

Pub date: 29 Jul 2009

Series: Insight Regional Guides

List price: £14.99

Discount: 10%

Our Price: £13.49

Copy the URL/address into the address bar - You can't just click on it.

http://www.insightguides.com/display.asp?K=9789812820938&m=51&ds=insight%20guides%20europe&dc=90&sort=uk_vat_price/d&mw=4&st_01=insight%20guides&sf_01=series;&sp_01=and%20not&st_02=compact,pocket,city&sf_02=series&st_03=1d*&sf_03=bic_qual_code

You have the latest edition, but with a 2009 date, it's bound to be outdated.

Sicily is awakening to tourism – Sicily has tremendous potential!

After six thousand years of marauding forces, Sicily has learned many ways to be enterprising……

Vagabonda :-)

Edited: 23 January 2011, 16:13
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

....message in from San Diego 22.32 21/01/11...stop.....here now....stop.......hotter than hell....stop.......Wow!!.......guess that means she'll be staying the full 4 days!!......

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

Possibly longer than that if airports close - Don't tell her!!

weather.com/outlook/…

Vagabonda

Edited: 23 January 2011, 16:43
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

Unfortunately for Jeannette -- I hoping for scenario #1. I live where the top of the letter 'a' is for coastal, I'm 2 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean. Baltimore weather forecasts this morning were the storm would probably track south of us (closer to Virginia) == keeping my fingers xxxxx'd that happens so we won't get the Nor'easter. Certainly don't want to see Jeannette stuck in a airport:^((

Vagabonda, I've been studying my Michelin, Nat'l Geographic, DK Eyewitness Travel and DK Top 10. I borrowed my neighbor's laptop, so I could multi-task while reading. My son thought I was loosin' it. The more information I get, the more I KNOW I'll be returning! 9 days just isn't going to be enough. Can't thank you enough for your gracious help.

See you soon Les

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

None of your weather scenarios sound terribly inviting ocpony – Hoping the best for you all….

You’re really only seeing Sicily’s southeastern corner in your nine days – There’s so much more to see in Sicily.

It’s been a pleasure ocpony – Any time!

Vagabonda

28. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 January 2011, 22:35
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

Hi Vagabonda,

Would you mind indulging me a little please and have a look thru' these 'plans' and where there is a question mark, I wonder if you would be able to find an answer for me? Thank you.

Also, just out of curiosity do you have any information on the 'Il Treno del Sud Est ' train? I get the impression it runs only later in the year.

Thanks again.

Les

Plan A

Catch 17.00 Bus from Palermo Airport (unlikely as plane lands at 16.40, if on time) , outside arrival terminal, to Palermo Bus Station (every 30 mins), using Prestia & Commande Fare 5.80 euros, pay on the bus?

Arrive at Palermo Bus Station, (via Balsamo) 17.50 approx.

At Palermo Bus Station (buy ticket, catch 18.00 bus to Catania Airport via SAIS Autolinee, 14.20 euro single fare, 22.60 euro return (valid until?) buy from ticket agency on via Balsamo?

Arrive Catania Airport for 20.30

Catch Interbus 20.40 to Siracusa Bus station at Corso Umberto arrive 21.55, fare? Pay on bus?

-----------

To watch out for;

At Catania Airport check arrival buses stop at upper floor road (departures)

Buses departing Catinia to all places leave the ground floor

How to get from Siracusa Bus station to LOL hostel….10 minute walk.

Plan B

Bus from Palermo Airport to Palermo Bus Station at 17.30 (or 18.00, but may be too late), pay on bus?

Catch 19.00 SAIS bus from Palermo Bus Station to Catania Bus Station (not the airport), buy ticket at ticket agency?

Get off at Catania Bus Station, Via D’Amico 21.40

Go from Bus Station to Train Station

To get to Train station, walk down vialle della liberta to piazza papa Giovanni xxiii, 10 minute walk?

Catch the 21.16 Trenitalia Rome/Messina train to Siracusa, which could/always? runs late, number 727, 2nd class 8.70 euros arrives 22.30 or later.

Get from Siracusa Train Station to hostel….10 minute walk

If train missed at Catania, phone c.c.ly hostel, phone Max and Jeannette

ps Would you attempt a one way car hire drive from Palermo to Syracuse (3hrs 40 min approx) and would you know of any such deal available at a rate thats competitve? Cost to get to Syracuse about 30 euros one way approx. by above methods

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

Hi Jeannette and Vagabonda, just a thought on a place to visit, if it wasnt already on the list, not gung ho for it, just a suggestion, 'Castello di Donnafugata' South of Ragusa?

See you very soon Kathie.....!!

Get answers to your questions about Syracuse