We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

We have explored and learned so much on the other thread but now it's a bit large, we'll continue here as we firm up our plans.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

...I can't wait.......honest......its just walking Jeannette, not route marching, I may crack the whip if you slack at all, but apparently there is a place to hire 'boots' from quite cheaply......and they do good deals on stretchers too...

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

won't be a problem, now since you are in charge of "music" we need to ask for "Sicilian music" vagabonda what do you recommend? If I may a trip video, I'll want the music of Sicily....

Les crossing my fingers you get in by in 10, we'll give u a welcoming party :) now I need everyone else to cross all their stuff too, no snow, no airport holdups, no ash and all that stuff......

I've been waiting for Sicily a long time :) just want us all to get there with no problems...

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,981 posts
Save Reply
73. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

Only visit Etna on a good weather day, and visit as early as possible because clouds roll in during the afternoon. The views are stunning.

There’s currently snow on Mount Etna - It gets very cold and windy on Etna’s summit.

Dress in layers – Polartec-fleece; windbreaker-mac; high, warm socks; trekking boots or very sturdy shoes; scarf (protection from fumes); hats; and gloves. Bring sunglasses, sunscreen, water and snacks.

Boots and socks are available for loan at the Società Cooperativa Gruppo Guide Alpine Etna Sud guide office.

http://www.etnaguide.com/

Zafferana Etnea and Nicolosi are the gateway towns to Mount Etna and Rifugio Sapienza. There is a loop you can drive on the volcano from one to the other via Rifugio Sapienza where the Etna funivia is located - Rifugio Sapienza is the highest point you can drive on the mountain at 1900 m.

http://www.funiviaetna.com/

Zafferana Etna is 19 km from Rifugio Sapienza and it would take 00h28 to drive.

Nicolosi is 19 km from Rifugio Sapienza and it would take 00h29 to drive.

Siracusa is 100 km from Mount Etna via Nicolosi and it would take 01h36 to drive.

You might also consider an excursion from Catania.

Etna Experience:

http://www.etnaexperience.com/

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187888-d1…

Sicily is diverse, so its music is also diverse with no one genre - Bellini’s operas, Sicilian folk music, traditional Sicilian accordion music, instrumentals, “work” music, jazz, sacred religious music…..

Vagabonda

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

....thank you Vagabonda, grateful indeed....

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,981 posts
Save Reply
75. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

Prego Les....

You would probably enjoy driving yourself to Etna for the most flexibility.

You could just walk the Silvestri Craters, or take the funivia, or even the 4X4, and skip the trek depending on weather, temperatures....

You could also enjoy lunch, but you might also consider booking lunch and wine tasting at the Murgo winery (agriturismo) in nearby Santa Veneria.

http://www.murgo.it/

http://www.murgo.it/ENG/AGRITURISMO.html

Vagabonda

Edited: 08 February 2011, 19:33
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

...ok Jeannette, I'd hope to be in by 10 too.....if things run on time, should be aok with the new flight times.....in charge of music?...ohh....well....theres 'the sicilian' cd/download by roberto alagno...which covers a cross section of sicilian genres, fine singer and quite temperamental too.

a welcoming party....bring it on...will there be food?...cos gonna be ravenous by then....

u need to read Vagabonda's stuff re Etna and shoes, etc. a piggy back is ok for downhill but not to the top!

what about the wine tasting and lunch?....no coronas tho ...ok?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,981 posts
Save Reply
77. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

You could also enjoy lunch at Rifugio Sapienza.....

But the agriturismo would be a nice local experience and the Etna wines are unique....

If you're not trekking, or you're just walking the Silvestri Craters,sturdy shoes would suffice, but if you plan to trek, there's snow.....

Vagabonda

Edited: 08 February 2011, 21:15
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

...Ok Vagabonda...thank you.....Im not sure J is up for too much snow....coals to newcastle, if you see what I mean..(I'll translate that for you later J)...

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,981 posts
Save Reply
79. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

Then possibly the walk around the Silvestri Craters, the funivia, and lunch and wine tasting at the agriturismo would be a nice day out….

Check this itinerary…

www.sicilylife.com/index.php…

Vagabonda

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: syracuse tips? itineraries? food? must see's? Pt. 2

....ok had a quick butchers at that, thanks Vagabonda, get J and K involved in this....

Get answers to your questions about Syracuse