We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

SICILY – A FIRST TIMER’S AWAKENING & EXPERIENCES

I don’t think I’ve ever had a greeting that compares to arriving to Sicily. There’s a beautiful giant of a lady there to greet you and she’s dressed in white. Her name is Mount Etna and you can’t take your eyes off of her. She dominates.

Our driver from New Travel Services is a patient man, he realizes the greeting we are feeling and is very accommodating in letting us snap photos and just breathe in her view. From Catania airport we are now making our way to Syracuse Sicily and I find myself trying to inhale everything I see. Is this it? I am here? I’ve been waiting a long time for this trip maybe a lifetime. I can remember loving the word “Sicily” as a child, not sure why? Maybe it was from close family friends who emigrated from Sicily but it has a ring to it, whether you say it loud or whisper it softly. Sicily……

My Sicilian home for this journey is “LOL Hostel.” I chose it for its great location, wonderful reviews and it fits my budget. We settle in, unpack, explore a bit and I know gosh I’m going to like this place. It’s sparkling new but rustic too! I’ve got exposed rock on a wall in my room and a balcony. Nice!!!!

I heard about that Max who runs it being a great guy and a pleasure to deal with and it’s really true. After unpacking and freshening up a bit we head for Max. He gives us a map and takes his time explaining things to us on the map so we understand fully where we are and what’s around the area. Most of the time when I’ve received a map from a hostel or hotel they hand it to you and circle “you are here” kind of thing but not at this hostel. You’ll find out a bit about the life of Syracuse as well as points of interest. Armed with our map and a bit of history me and Kathie head to Ortygia. Make a left out of the hostel, keep walking and you’ll come to a bridge and there stands Ortygia. Sicilian greetings never disappoint and right before you will be the Apollo Temple. Here is a bit of background on this temple.

sacred-destinations.com/italy/syracuse-templ…

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

Les's Sicily photos are now attached to his travel report.

enjoy

:)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,229 posts
Save Reply
72. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

The photos are beautiful Les - It's interesting to see the differences in photos between Les and Jeannette....

Grazie mille.....

Vagabonda

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

....yes Jeannette keeps her eyes open, mine were random shots!! thanks for the compliment Vagabonda, more to come and gettin to the serious siracusa / noto/ortygia bits next with some 'bear raising' moments thrown in !!

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

...some more Sicily trip report of Jeannettes and mine on line at wordpress Vagabonda....

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,229 posts
Save Reply
75. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

Thanks Les - A trip report like no other...

It's wonderful!

Vagabonda

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

...thank you Vagabonda....you're not being ironic ...are you? Hope its ok, seriously, so far...........more to come....work keeps getting in the way tho!!!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,229 posts
Save Reply
77. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

That was a compliment Les – I am not being sarcastic!! It’s an entertaining compilation of your time in Sicily… :-)

Work always interferes with fun!!

Vagabonda

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

...ok chastised and complimented as I am, I shall, like General MacArthur....return !! :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,229 posts
Save Reply
79. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

Hopefully in spring or autumn....

Vagabonda

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

I've been under the weather and slammed busy but more of my Sicily is up, I love your report Les !

Get answers to your questions about Syracuse