We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

SICILY – A FIRST TIMER’S AWAKENING & EXPERIENCES

I don’t think I’ve ever had a greeting that compares to arriving to Sicily. There’s a beautiful giant of a lady there to greet you and she’s dressed in white. Her name is Mount Etna and you can’t take your eyes off of her. She dominates.

Our driver from New Travel Services is a patient man, he realizes the greeting we are feeling and is very accommodating in letting us snap photos and just breathe in her view. From Catania airport we are now making our way to Syracuse Sicily and I find myself trying to inhale everything I see. Is this it? I am here? I’ve been waiting a long time for this trip maybe a lifetime. I can remember loving the word “Sicily” as a child, not sure why? Maybe it was from close family friends who emigrated from Sicily but it has a ring to it, whether you say it loud or whisper it softly. Sicily……

My Sicilian home for this journey is “LOL Hostel.” I chose it for its great location, wonderful reviews and it fits my budget. We settle in, unpack, explore a bit and I know gosh I’m going to like this place. It’s sparkling new but rustic too! I’ve got exposed rock on a wall in my room and a balcony. Nice!!!!

I heard about that Max who runs it being a great guy and a pleasure to deal with and it’s really true. After unpacking and freshening up a bit we head for Max. He gives us a map and takes his time explaining things to us on the map so we understand fully where we are and what’s around the area. Most of the time when I’ve received a map from a hostel or hotel they hand it to you and circle “you are here” kind of thing but not at this hostel. You’ll find out a bit about the life of Syracuse as well as points of interest. Armed with our map and a bit of history me and Kathie head to Ortygia. Make a left out of the hostel, keep walking and you’ll come to a bridge and there stands Ortygia. Sicilian greetings never disappoint and right before you will be the Apollo Temple. Here is a bit of background on this temple.

sacred-destinations.com/italy/syracuse-templ…

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,699 posts
Save Reply
81. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

Everyone's reports, photos, and videos are wonderful - Feel better Jeannette!

Vagabonda

Edited: 26 March 2011, 16:33
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

I've been SO WAITING to get to this day of sunsets and comedy on the trip report so I could tell you what Les did, shewww finally done, it's not long but i couldn't jump ahead

:)

ty vagabonda

Edited: 26 March 2011, 23:25
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,699 posts
Save Reply
83. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

A hook if ever there was one.... :-)

Vagabonda

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

did you get to read it ? oh vagabonda u would have laughed so hard had u been there, if you can imagine it from my perspective watching two comedies at the same time, priceless ! I won't write details here, so i don't spoil it because the "element" of surprise was everything LOL

what a great time,

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,699 posts
Save Reply
85. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

Hi Jeannette - Have been following the entire blog.....

You really enjoyed yourselves!

Vagabonda

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

glad you like it Vagabonda ! :)

okay I have posted Les's report Day 4

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

ok, i've completed up to 1/2 of our last day:

…wordpress.com/2011/…

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

my work is done :)

my report is finished !

I hope you enjoyed and I hope you get to Sicily. Now I can sit back and enjoy Les's report and dream of Sicily..........

…wordpress.com/2011/…

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,699 posts
Save Reply
89. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

What a very intense ending – Why wouldn’t it be? Only you Jeannette! :-)

You have a huge responsibility to take good care of Ted!!

Hopefully all a labour of love, a wonderful trip report, a lovely tribute to Sicily

Grazile mille - Vagabonda

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: Sicily - A First Timer's Awakening & Experiences Trip Report

grazie vagabonda :) & kathie, les & trish

Ted is turning American on me, requesting cokes and lots of ice plus sporting big white tennis shoes.

It was intense arriving so therefore must be intense in leaving as well right?

now the big question when do I get to go back? there is still so much I want to do, I didn't get to lots of the things I had planned but that's okay, eventually I will

I'm looking forward to the reports from others who will soon be on their way. Don't forget us !

Get answers to your questions about Syracuse