We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sick in siracusa

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
132 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
sick in siracusa

So...I have what is either a really bad sinus infection or the flu. The drugs from the farmacia are not working and I am miserable. My question is if there is a take away food place close to where I am staying: giuggiulena villa bnb. Or someplace easy to get soup? My husband's Italian is atrocious and I've been navigating/ordering etc. I don't know what to do...feeling helpless! Today's trip to Modica, Ragusa and Noto were horrid as all I could do was feel sick.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,831 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: sick in siracusa

Oh no katianna_lindley – Hopefully you also don’t have allergies!

Take away is not very common - Contact Sabrina for assistance with a doctor.

Good luck!

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,831 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sick in siracusa

Unfortunately I have tried many nearby restaurants for you and none is serving soup tonight!

Vagabonda

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
132 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sick in siracusa

Grazie mille Vagabonda. That is too kind. I think I will just try to get up the road to Jonico where we went last night. Maybe something hot will make me feel better. We are leaving Saturday and have nothing planned tomorrow so I can rest.

You are so kind to all of us here.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,831 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sick in siracusa

Really hope you'll feel better quickly and enjoy your last day in Sicily - Jonico won't have soup for you though!!

All the best to you!!

Vagabonda

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sick in siracusa

What about a littlle market that might have packaged soup. Surely you have a way of heating hot water in your accommodations. Not the most EXCITING soup, but at least edible.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
132 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sick in siracusa

I am staying in tonight. My husband found some hot water and tea bags and a few pieces of bread. I am really hoping this goes away. I wanted so bad to swim tomorrow. If not better by morning I'll have the innkeeper call a taxi to go to farmacia again.

Thank you all for your help. Not sure where a little market, open at this hour would be. My husband isn't so good with finding his way esp without me. Praying the breeze helps....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: sick in siracusa

Cannot the B&B owner/manager offer some suggestions as to where some food can be picked up and help guide your husband in the right direction?

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
132 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sick in siracusa

She has left for the night. It's ok though...I feel at least better to know you all have suggestions and the tea is soothing my throat. It's unfortunate because Sicily is amazing. We have loved every minute until last night and today. Sicily Life Tours has been fantastic and both Siracusa and Taormina are outstanding. I loved Venice and Siracusa the most of the whole trip. Will write reports when I'm not ill. Maybe tomorrow I'll feel up to finding gelato in Ortigia since I was too sick while in Noto.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sick in siracusa

Oh my, you have my sympathies. Last year I got horribly sick during a stay in Genoa - a stomach virus that had me vomiting and worse. It completely ruined two days of my vacation. Ended up going to an emergency room and got some anitibiotics, which got rid of it.

I ate mostly baby food for those two days, as it was all my stomach could take. Good times.

Edited: 31 May 2012, 20:23
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: sick in siracusa

I've gotten sick on trips to Italy too - and there's just nothing worse to me than being sick away from home.

Hope you are feeling better very soon - i.e., tomorrow.

Get answers to your questions about Syracuse