We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a ferry going from Syracuse to Rome by Ferry?

Which Syracuse hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a ferry going from Syracuse to Rome by Ferry?

I'm going to Syracuse for three days, and need to get to Rome after that. I've heard the night train is NOT the way to go, and we don't want to fly. I've heard ferries are great ways to go at night. What City near or in Syracuse do I need to leave from to take a ferry near or to Rome? Don't want to spend hours getting Palermo to get a ferry out of there. Is it possible to do ferries from the East side of Sicilly? Is the night train as bad as I've heard?

Last question. Is it possible to book/pay for ferry/train overnight when we get to Italy, about two weeks before the actual train/ferry ride? Will there still be space available two weeks in advance (12 days)

Thanks!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,830 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a ferry going from Syracuse to Rome by Ferry?

There is a daily overnight ferry from Catania to Naples. You can reach Catania from Siracusa by bus or train, and Naples to Rome is a quick 70-minute train ride via Trenitalia Frecciarossa/Frecciargento train. You DO need to book the FERRY in advance, since the ship has a limited number of sleeping cabins, but booking 12 days in advance should be sufficient most of the time. The bus/train from Siracusa to Catania is unreserved, and the mandatory bookings for the superfast trains from Naples to Rome can also be done 12 days (or so) in advance (although the BEST DISCOUNTED fares (such as the Trenitalia SUPER ECONOMY fare) often require an earlier booking).

There are also two daily DAYLIGHT direct Trenitalia Intercity trains from Siracusa to Roma Termini, which take 11 hours and are somewhat boring trips (although crossing the Straits of Messina is fun from the top deck of the train ferry). Many tourists on tight schedules can't afford to waste an entire day on a daylight train, although this solution makes sense for a retired person with no time limitations (who is not interested in the overnight ferry solution, or who does not want to bother with the train/ferry connection in both Catania and Naples).

Personally, I would take the daylight train, but I am probably NOT a typical tourist in this regard. I would recommend the overnight ferry option for those NOT wanting to fly (even though, as noted above, this requires a connection in both Catania and in Naples, which is a small hassle and extra expense for local taxis).

People on very tight budgets can save more money by taking the daylight train with a nonrefundable/non-changeable SUPER ECONOMY fare. The overnight ferry is more expensive, but also more comfortable (and allows you to dedicate most of a full day in both Siracusa and in Rome).

www.tttlines.it (overnight ferry)

www.trenitalia.it

www.interbus.it (bus from Siracusa to Catania)

Edited: 18 July 2013, 16:44
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a ferry going from Syracuse to Rome by Ferry?

Hi Jane S,

Perfect advice from GAC, so if you don't want to fly, and you don't want to lose a day on the train, then take the TTT Lines ferry from Catania to Naples. The overnight ferry saves the cost of a hotel.

Vagabonda

3. Re: Is there a ferry going from Syracuse to Rome by Ferry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Syracuse