We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Ortigia versus Syracuse?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
615 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Ortigia versus Syracuse?

I read from an old post that parking is not allowed in Ortigia or is very expensive. I was going to stay in Ortigia on the sea but I'm wondering if that makes sense if we have a car? What is the major benefit of staying on the island? I see that we can park in Talete and bus or walk-in but I'm wondering if staying in Ortigia is worth the added hassle of parking outside and busing to the car or is it so beautiful that it's worth it to stay in the center of it all? We would stay in Ortigia our first 2 nights which are a Thursday and Friday. Is it the nightlife that is great?

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Ortigia versus Syracuse?

Staying on the island of Ortigia is MUCH MUCH MUCH nicer than staying on the mainland, especailly in the evening after dinner. No contest here!

Edited: 10 April 2014, 22:03
United States
Level Contributor
9,776 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Ortigia versus Syracuse?

I didn't find parking at Talate which is on island much of a hassle. It's easy to walk to from anywhere and at the time I used it there was no charge or maybe €1 for overnight hours and minimum charge for day hours. Being in Ortigia is certainly where most of the action and charm is located.

TAB

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
615 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Ortigia versus Syracuse?

Yes I can see that Ortigia is loaded with charm!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,099 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Ortigia versus Syracuse?

Salve JimA1,

Ortigia is the MOST scenic area of Siracusa, and it's Siracusa's historic centre.

Parking is very easy and inexpensive at Ortigia's Talete. You would not bus or walk-in!

An earlier thread discusses how to arrive - tripadvisor.com/…57228967

Vagabonda

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
615 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Ortigia versus Syracuse?

I missed the parking thread you left me re Ortigia...my bad!

I definitely will stay in Ortigia but I'm facing the age old question: Syracuse vs Taomina....and yes I have read all the threads about that question and it's just hard to decide! One place with sea view in Origia we like requires a 2 night minimum but I haven't checked Taomina accommodations. Let me ask this...what part of Ortigia offers the best waterview? I imagine the Sea is a better view than the bay or are they equal?

Sicily will be our only place to experience weekend nightlife: Since we're talking a thursday, friday and Sat night in middle june....I imagine the nightlife is equally good in both towns (although Thursday I may be too tired to stay up past Sunset!). I can see that Taomina is more touristy than Crtigia so does that mean foreigners (which is ok). It's just really hard to decide. I know Taomina puts us in good position to drive some of Mt Edna (no hiking!)...which we would like to try to see. Add to this the fact that accommodations are filling up and I get a little stressed. Vagabonda how would rate nightlife between the 2 places and what part of each town offers the best views of the sea?

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Ortigia versus Syracuse?

This is a very easy question!

Siracusa beats Taormina in a heartbeat for art, culture, architecture, history, museums and churches. Taormina boats ONLY a spectacular view and the beautiful Greek Theatre. If you are interested in art and culture, you'll choose Siracusa.

Taormina is very "touristy" (and therefore artificial). Siracusa is becoming much more "touristy", but is much less artificial.

The best sea views on Ortigia are along the Lungomare di Levante (eastern side of the Island facing the Ionian Sea).

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
615 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Ortigia versus Syracuse?

That's good to know...Cuture is important!

.the place we thought about staying faces the water in front of cathedral square on the west side of the island. It sounds like both Taormina and Ortigia are equal for nightlife?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,099 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Ortigia versus Syracuse?

Views from both the open sea side, and the harbour side of Ortigia are lovely, just different!

Ortygia hotel: Domus Mariae vs. Etrangers:

tripadvisor.com/…17231051

Taormina is a tourist resort town with a high ratio of tourists to locals, but Ortigia is Siracusa's historic centre, and although a blend of genuine life and tourism, also touristic.

You would enjoy restaurants and pubs in Siracusa and Taormina, but Taormina has a very active nightlife including discoteche.

gotaormina.com/en/…bars__pubs_guide.html

gotaormina.com/en/activities/trip_advisor_ni…

paginegialle.it/pgol/…29

paginegialle.it/pgol/…29

Piazza Duomo is not along the water.

Etna should not be your deciding factor when considering your base.

Estimate 01h20 and 56 km from Taormina to Rifugio Sapienza (Cantoniera dell'Etna) via Zafferanea Etna.

Siracusa is 96 km from Mount Etna via Nicolosi and it would take 01h47 to drive.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,099 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Ortigia versus Syracuse?

Siracusa and Taormina are very different places.

Siracusa is an historical destination, and there are no beaches.

Taormina is Sicily's chicest town, a holiday destination with many beaches, and also a charming historic centre, and phenomenal views of Mount Etna.

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
121 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Ortigia versus Syracuse?

Thanks for this post - wanting to include Siracusa on my trip and read this post and now booked a night in Ortigia - thank you!!

Get answers to your questions about Syracuse