We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Syracuse to Agrigento advice requested

Melbourne
Level Contributor
111 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Syracuse to Agrigento advice requested

We are presently in beautiful Ortygia, and enjoying the ancient cobbled streets, fine eateries and surrounds of the blue ocean.

On Monday we need to head to Agrigento by public transport and I am seeking advice on how best to do so.

I understand that there are buses with interbus heading to Catania, then another to catch from Catania to Agrigento. If we need to check out at 10am Monday what are our options?

Is the train slower, as in the same route Syracuse> Catania, then Catania> Agrigento?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Daniel

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,886 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Syracuse to Agrigento advice requested

Salve thegutterpoet,

Yes Ortigia is beautiful!

Take Interbus from Siracusa to Aeroporto Catania, and SAIS Trasporti from Aeroporto Catania onward to Agriegnto.

The train is much slower, even slower than schedules might indicate, since trains traversing Sicily are seldom timely, and there's no guarantee of working air-conditioning on the trains.

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Melbourne
Level Contributor
111 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Syracuse to Agrigento advice requested

Cheers, Signore V...I assume we can buy the ticket for Siracuse to Catania on the Sunday (we visited the office yesterday and noted the opening hours...well, not exactly an office, more a metal box behind the railway station!) Although perhaps it is best to purchaser today.

Are we then able to purchase the SAIS ticket from an office at Catania airport? I see they leave pretty much hourly on monday-

www.giamporcaro.it/en/orari.aspx…

Lastly, and I am sure I have asked this of your knowledge base in the past, but please remind me of the connections between agrigento and trapani, as we will be attempting to make the trip on wednesday.

As for agrigento, with only one whole day in between the two nights to play with, I hope for a visit to the temple of the gods and spiaggia turcia? Have you been?

cheers

daniel

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,886 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Syracuse to Agrigento advice requested

Salve thegutterpoet,

Purchase your tickets from Siracusa to Aeroporto Catania at the biglietteria near the train station just prior to travel.

http://www.interbus.it/Biglietterie.aspx

And the same for the SAIS Trasporti tickets from Aeroporto Catania to Agrigento.

Lumia runs the direct bus service between Agrigento and Trapani.

http://www.autolineelumia.it/

There is no public transport to the Scala dei Turchi. Is this where you intend to visit?

Vagabonda

Melbourne
Level Contributor
111 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Syracuse to Agrigento advice requested

Ciao Signore Vagabonda...we have made our way to Agrigento but the link to the autolineelumia site is dead, as are other attempts to find the information needed for our bus trip to trapani on wednesday!

we have organized a cheap trip to scala dei turchi...

syracuse was beautiful, we met my the son of my second cousin who shares a surname with me, and he and his lady kindly took us for dinner, then drove us to sampieri for a delightful day yesterday!.

cheers,

TGP

Bournemouth, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Syracuse to Agrigento advice requested

Can we (4 ladies) get from Agrogenta to Catania in October ?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,886 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Syracuse to Agrigento advice requested

Welcome to Sicily Frances R!

Yes, you would take the direct SAIS Trasporti bus from Agrigento to Catania.

http://www.giamporcaro.it/

Vagabonda

Bournemouth, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Syracuse to Agrigento advice requested

Can we travel from Agrogenta to Syracuse by public transport in October please Vagabonda.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,886 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Syracuse to Agrigento advice requested

Your holiday sounds completely delightful TGP with meeting family, and seeing Siracusa, Sampieri, and even the Scala dei Turchi!

Wednesday schedules are feriale (weekday). The rate is € 11.90. Purchase your ticket in Agrigento at p.le F.lli Rosselli.

Buses will depart Agrigento at 06:30, and arrive in Trapani at 10:25; also depart Agrigento at 09:00 and arrive in Trapani at 12:20; and the last bus would depart Agrigento at 14:10 and arrive in Trapani at 17:40.

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,886 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Syracuse to Agrigento advice requested

There is no direct bus from Agrigento to Siracusa.

You would take the direct SAIS Trasporti bus from Agrigento to Aeroporto Catania, and then take the direct Interbus service from Aeroporto Catania onward to Siracusa.

http://www.interbus.it/

Vagabonda

Bournemouth, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Syracuse to Agrigento advice requested

Thank you - thats really helpful.