We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Siracusa?

Boston...
Level Contributor
53 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Siracusa?

We are going to be in Sicily at the end of September/beginning of October, right now we have three full days in Siracusa before we head to Taormina and I am wondering if 3 days in Siracusa is too long. I figure it will be one full day to explore Siracusa and Ortigia, and then the second day we would take the train to Noto and explore for the day. Any advice on what we would do for a third day? Are there beaches nearby? We won't have a car. Our other option would be to add another night in Bologna, so that we would only have two days in Siracusa. Thanks!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Siracusa?

Three days is not too long to spend in Siracusa. There's much to see and do in Siracusa, andOrtigia is delightful.

You might also take the bus to Noto, since the bus arrives in Noto nearer the historic centre than the train.

Noto only requires half a day, in the morning, or in the evening. Noto closes midday.

How many days would you enjoy in Bologna, and hopefully you've allocated time for Parma.

Vagabonda

Boston...
Level Contributor
53 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Siracusa?

Thank you for your response! We are actually staying two nights in Parma and two nights in Bologna right now. Thanks for the tip on taking the bus to Noto. If Noto is only a half day is there somewhere else we can reach via bus to spend the other half of the day? Also, what would you do with a third day in Siracusa? Is there a beach near by that we could go to? Or is there enough to do in Siracusa/Ortigia to spend two full days on? I know there is the archaeological park and wandering around Ortigia seems great - but what else am I missing? We probably aren't interested in museums, we love wandering around and discovering pretty places. Thanks again!

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,608 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Siracusa?

If you love to wander around enjoying pretty hidden corners, Ortigia will keep you busy for a while...

Or you could consider a daytrip to Ragusa Ibla, or Modica

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,593 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Siracusa?

With four nights between Parma and Bologna, then allocate the time to Siracusa.

Perhaps begin the day at the market in Catania, and then enjoy lunch in Catania, and arrive in Noto after the midday closing, and for sunset.

There are sufficient attractions in Siracusa, the Parco Archeologico della Neapolis, Museo Archeologico Regionale Paolo Orsi, Ortigia, Piazza Duomo and the magnificent Duomo, Fonte Aretusa, Castello Maniace, Santa Lucia alla Badia, Ipogeo di Piazza del Duomo, The Temple of Apollo, Castello Eurialo, Church of Santa Lucia, Catacombe di San Giovanni, the Mikva, boat rides, the puppets....

But there are the other UNESCO Val di Noto towns as well and beaches.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1024

Vagabonda

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,985 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Siracusa?

hi: we're going to Syracusa/Ortigia around the same time and I can already tell that I could probably live there and wish I had more time than 2.5 days......i'm sure you will find a lot of wonderful things to do and see...and as mentioned by Vagabonda, there are the other Val di Noto towns as well. Keep in mind that travel by public transportation takes a little bit of waiting around time with the departure/arrival schedules....

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,593 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Siracusa?

Public transport to the Val di Noto towns is limited on Sundays, and best avoided.

You might also enjoy Catania's market an early morning but Sunday, and Siracusa also has a wonderful open-air market on Ortigia.

Vagabonda

Boston...
Level Contributor
53 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Siracusa?

Thank you all so much. We've decided to keep the 3 days in Siracusa.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,593 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Siracusa?

Prego jamaes22,

Ortigia is lovely and Siracusa is a good base for day trips.

Perhaps you would enjoy reading some reports about Siracusa.

Siracusa 'rocks':

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187891-i1413-k450…

Our trip to Taormina 4 days and Ortigia 4 days in June:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k7678…

The Ipogeo di Piazza Duomo and the museum have been renovated.

Trip Report 6-12 October - Greek History Focus:

tripadvisor.com/…22270106

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

9. Re: 3 days in Siracusa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2015, 05:17