We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taormina honeymoon

Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Taormina honeymoon

My fiance and I will be honeymooning in Sicily this August 2018. We will be staying in Taormina for 5 nights and aren't sure where to stay. So far our top 3 options seem to be hotel villa ducale, hotel villa carlotta and hotel villa belvedere. Does anyone have an opinion on which would be better? Villa Ducale looks beautiufl but not sure if the location is a bit inconvenient. Also, would these hotels be in a good location or is it better to stay closer to the beach? Any input would be appreciated!

28 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,476 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taormina honeymoon

Tanti auguri Christine C, and welcome to Sicily!

August is hot, busy, and crowded, especially mid-month.

All your Taormina hotels are lovely, so first decide your location, and then decide your hotel.

Villa Ducale and Villa Carlotta are sister hotels, but Villa Ducale is located above Taormina on the way to Castelmola.

Consider whether you'd like to enjoy a pool, and then consider Villa Angela with a lovely pool, terraces, and views of Etna. Villa Angela is nearby Villa Ducale.

Villa Belvedere is located in town, and a good choice is you'd like to stay in town.

It's generally optimal to stay in town, enjoy the beach during the day, and then the vibe in town at night.

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taormina honeymoon

Thank you so much for your help! We have narrowed it down to villa belvedere or villa carlotta. Would you recommend one over the other?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,476 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taormina honeymoon

These are two very good options. Both hotels are a short walk to the historic centre, and only a few minutes walk apart.

Best to read the review with an eye to detail for which hotel more appeals, and with the amenities you'd like.

The pool is very small at Villa Carlotta.

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taormina honeymoon

ok thanks for your help! Once we leave Taormina we are planning to go to Palermo for 2 nights. On the drive from Taormina to Palermo we were thinking of stopping in Agrigento. We would like to have time to relax and enjoy taormina but also do a little sightseeing as well. Can you recommend any 1/2 day trips to take from taormina? Thanks!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,476 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taormina honeymoon

Prego Christine C,

Etna, the Aeolians (full day), Siracusa (full day), the Godfather towns, Catania, or wineries are typical day excursions from Taormina.

There are left luggage storage lockers at the train station in Agrigento.

Consider returning the car in Agrigento, and then taking the direct Cuffaro bus, or train from Agrigento to Taormina, and avoid driving in Palermo.

Auguri!

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taormina honeymoon

Grazie! We decided on villa carlotta and are very excited!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,476 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taormina honeymoon

Very lovely, and best wishes to you!

Vagabonda

Edited: 12 December 2017, 02:25
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taormina honeymoon

Hello!

My husband and I will be staying in Taormina for 4 nights on our honeymoon. We would like to do some sightseeing but also relax as well. What would you recommend to do to have a little of both? We were thinking of a winery on mt. etna and possibly a day excursion to the aeolian islands? Do you think that would take up too much time?

Level Contributor
3,187 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taormina honeymoon

Is The Belvedere Hotel at all convenient to the beaches? I had narrowed my list down to include it - we enjoy hotels with pool that are walking distance to towns and beaches (although it sounds like in Taormina you cannot have both). Thanks

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,476 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Taormina honeymoon

Congrats Christine C!

An Etna winery and a day on the Eolie would be lovely.

Then enjoy time in Taormina, Castelmola, and at the beach.

Vagabonda

Reply to: Taormina honeymoon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Taormina