We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive up to Taormina

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Drive up to Taormina

I will be driving from Catania to Taormina. From the main highway, what is the condition of the access road that leads up to the village of Taormina? Looking at the map, it looks like it is steep and winding.

Is it a safe road? Guard rails?

Also, what type of road leads from the town center to the Hotel Ducale? Thank you

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive up to Taormina

the roads up are fairly steep (we walked Luigi Pirandello once). The main route through town (corso Umberto ) is primarily pedestrian only though I saw a few cabs dropping people off.

The roads are safe. The problem is with one ways being fairly confusing especially in the dark. We got lost heading to our hotel. Passed by within 100 yards and ended up on the top of the mountain nearly before I gave up and asked for directions. 20 min mistake so big deal.

No idea where the Ducale is but best advice I can give is email them and ask where you should park. We found all our hotels in Italy very helpful via email. Google maps also have enough detail at the highest resolution (though I still blew it when the time came).

Have fun. The driving really isn't all that bad. Do invest in a good map though. We bought the TCI Sud map book. Then supplemented with Google pages printed off.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive up to Taormina

The roads are steep and winding, but you will also have a beutiful view! Hotel Villa Ducale is in the middle from Taormina and Castelmola. When you reach Taormina you just follow the signs for Castelmola. The hotel is on the right side and they have a private parking for their guests.

Go up to Castelmola in the evening and have a pizza at Mimmo's. Live music (sicilian) and a very nice atmosphere, then go to the Torrisi bar for a taste of almondwine in a very particular ambient..;o)

3. Re: Drive up to Taormina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 06:25
Get answers to your questions about Taormina