We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Sole Castello in Taormina

Which Taormina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warsaw
Level Contributor
147 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Sole Castello in Taormina

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here, and I'm happy to find this forum among othe Sicilian forums!

I am going to Taormina in 2 weeks for the first time, sadly - just for a week...

We'll be staying at Sole Castello hotel (http://www.hotelsolecastello.it/taormina-3stars-hotel/ ) with Neckermann. I know that the hotel is situated really high, about 1 km above Taormina, but it is not such a big problem because the view from there seems to be splendid.

However, I have just discovered, on the Google maps, that it seems like the hotel is located directly above the Cattania - Messina highway! Is it true ?

On the other hand, when you zoom in the satelite version of the map, there is no highway at all.

Could somebody confirm that the highway is/isn't there ? If it is there, does it have a big influence to the hotel (noisy??).

Thank you very much in advance!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,009 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Sole Castello in Taormina

The views are good and the highway won’t be an issue – but this hotel is not a good choice for you – see if you can switch!

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187892-d557…

Vagabonda

Warsaw
Level Contributor
147 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Sole Castello in Taormina

Yes, unfortunately I already went through these opinions, but we cannot change the hotel. It was the last minute deal. I was just wondering, if the autostrada would be a big disturbance. And how is it possible to cross it when we walk to Taormina ??

Well, we are not planning to spend all the time in the hotel, so hopefully, the time when we indeed are there, will not be that terrible ;) At least we have the sea view from our balcony!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,009 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Sole Castello in Taormina

This hotel is at the end of Taormina on the way to Castelmola – the autostrada is really not an issue.

There are other streets that will allow you to get to Taormina – in fact, there are stairs from the hotel that will lead you to Taormina in about 15 minutes walk.

The views will be beautiful - not to worry about that!

Vagabonda

Warsaw
Level Contributor
147 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Sole Castello in Taormina

Well, indeed it seems like to be one of the worst hotels in Taormina, according to the reviews on Tripadvisor! I only cheer myself up, that most of them opinions come from the previous years (mostly 2005 - 2006) and there is only 1 review (of all 8, which is not too many...) from May 2008. I do hope the hotel staff and all the other things have improved since then and I will not cry for my choice.. ;)

Anyway, we will spend most of the time "somewhere in Sicily", so we do not need a 5* palace :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,009 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Sole Castello in Taormina

I did recently call the hotel for information, and the receptionist was pleasant, so hopefully things have improved - and you are correct, you will be spending little time at the hotel itself.

Wouldn't hurt to inform the desk on arrival that you would love to write a great review for the hotel on TripAdvisor! Do hope you will write a review on your return.

Buona fortuna!

Vagabonda

Warsaw
Level Contributor
147 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Sole Castello in Taormina

I certainly will !

And I do hope I will "breake the rules" and write the first good review.

Thank you Vagabonda for you effort to call the hotel :)

Warsaw
Level Contributor
147 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Sole Castello in Taormina

Ok, so finally they published my review and photos.

Hope it will be helpful.

ciao !

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187892-d557…

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,009 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Sole Castello in Taormina

corinna_schumacher, you review and photos were quite exceptional, such detail, just wonderful! Grazie - it will be a great help to future travellers.

Vagabonda

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Sole Castello in Taormina

Very good review ! And beautiful photos... it has so much going for it as an hotel - but what a pity the 'owner/manager' doesn't take any notice of the reviews.... perhaps Tripadviser should write to them by post (perhaps they don't browse the web or TA) and ask for their comments.

Even worse... perhaps the 'blonde' rude member of staff can't be sacked, if she is actually a member of the manager/owner's family !

10. Re: Hotel Sole Castello in Taormina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 14:19