We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Plage Hotel - is it open?

Which Taormina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
323 reviews
Save Topic
La Plage Hotel - is it open?

We have booked four nights at the La Plage Hotel from 2nd to 6th June. We have already had to change our booking from May as the hotel was not due to be open until June 1st. Originally, when we first booked it was due to be open in March but this was delayed. Now I see that they are not taking bookings until July 1st and so I am worried that we will be staying at an unfinished building site.

Has anybody seen this hotel on the coast near the Isloa Bella and seen whether it is fit to take guests. Alternatively, does anybody know about the progress of the building work.

Thanks

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,951 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: La Plage Hotel - is it open?

Not open yet! Checked just last week!

Either again change your dates, or book at one of the other many accommodations!

Vagabonda

London, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Plage Hotel - is it open?

Thanks Vagabonda

Unfortunately, I will have to stick to my plans as I have booked our flights and changed them once already when first notified by La Plage that they would not be open until June 1st. They have not notified me since to tell me that they have delayed their opening until July 1st. I just noticed that on their website.

I also cannot change accommodation as I have paid for La Plage already and they have not said that I cannot come.

They must be prepared to take us as part of a 'soft opening'. Just hope that we don't end up camping. Will let you know what happens when we return.

Our trip involves four days in Taormina followed by three on the island of Salina at the Hotel Principe di Salina. At least they are up and running.

Thanks again.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,951 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: La Plage Hotel - is it open?

La Plage has a stunning location at Isola Bella, BUT work on the resort continues, and it’s closed.

I would strongly encourage YOU to contact La Plage, and not wait for them to contact you – You don’t want to arrive in Taormina and find the hotel closed.

I just tried calling La Plage, no response, and when I checked with Taormina’s Tourist Information Office, I was just informed that work is still being done, and that the resort has still not opened.

Hopefully by the time of your visit, they can accommodate a ‘soft opening’ – You still have a few more days!

Hope to hear from you on your return!

Buona Fortuna!

Vagabonda

San Francisco
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: La Plage Hotel - is it open?

I had reservations for Le Plage for late June as well, and they did not contact me to tell me that the resort was still under renovation. However, since I booked through an internet booking site, I actually had the following contact info for the resort:

Emanuela Losasso

Ufficio prenotazioni Ragosta Hotels

Tel. +39 089 7634407

Fax +39 089 7634802

reservations@ragostahotels.com

www.ragostahotels.com

When I emailed them, they responded that I needed to find another hotel as the renovations were extended to July 1.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,951 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: La Plage Hotel - is it open?

Thank you for this update and very informative post RL12.

heb999, please contact the hotel and don’t wait for them to contact you – They will not be open in June!! You will need to book another accommodation.

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

London, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Plage Hotel - is it open?

Thanks RL12 & Vagabonda for your messages.

I contacted the La Plage and my booking agent. It seems that my booking agent, Luxury Link, had mistakenly thought I was to stay in September, despite my confirmed reservation for June 2nd.

Apparently, the hotel has transferred guests to another hotel, not sure which yet, and so I am waiting for my new details.

I am not at all happy. La Plage did not contact me despite my confirmed booking and Luxury Link had the wrong date for my stay, despite them arranging the stay and already changing my reservation once.

It is now the eleventh hour and I am not sure whether I will want to accept the alternative hotel.

Will keep you posted.

Helen

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,951 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: La Plage Hotel - is it open?

Hi heb999,

You should not be happy at all – And hopefully if the alternate hotel is not to your satisfaction, you would be able to get a refund. You should have a choice of the alternate hotel.

Please keep us posted!

Buona Fortuna!

Vagabonda

London, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Plage Hotel - is it open?

To keep you updated.

The La Plage Hotel has decided to re-accommodate its guests in the Mazzaro Sea Palace which has many terrible reviews on Trip Advisor. I am complaining and asking for my money back.

Will let you know how I get on.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,951 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: La Plage Hotel - is it open?

This is not the way to start your holiday!

Mazzaro Sea Palace doesn’t have the most sterling reviews, but that aside, you should be the one to decide on your hotel choice and how you want to spend your money, not La Plage.

Wishing you well....

Vagabonda

San Francisco
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: La Plage Hotel - is it open?

Hi heb999,

I had booked through Luxury Link as well. Luxury Link offered to find another hotel in the area or refund the purchase price. I went with the refund and made my own reservations elsewhere. The refund was processed last week. They should be able to do the same for you.

Good luck.

Get answers to your questions about Taormina