We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Independent bus trips from Taormina

Which Taormina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Independent bus trips from Taormina

Can anyone help, please? We are staying for 2 weeks in June at Villa Kristina. We won't be hiring a car. Are there any local villages or places we can visit for the day or half day using the local bus. We love to explore independently but I can only seem to find information for the more popular sights, etna etc. Grazie

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,512 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Independent bus trips from Taormina

Interbus-Etna Trasporti runs buses to the local towns in the area – You can certainly visit Castelmola, Giardini, Letojanni

Etna Trasporti:

http://www.etnatrasporti.it/

http://www.interbus.it/

Taormina also has its Trasporto urbano:

www.taorminaservizipubblici.it/index.php…

The villages in the mountains like Savoca are more difficult to reach on public transport.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187889-i2142-k208…

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Independent bus trips from Taormina

You can catch buses from Taormina bus station - all over the area - there is also a proper 'bus shop' for the interbus company in the main high street of Taormina (mainly pedestrianised) and they will give you information about their bus tours to places like Etna (as you mentioned) and other trips elsewhere. The kiosk at the bus station has a few bus timetables but no proper tour information. The tourist office in the centre also gives out information about buses and trains, and other tour companies.

There is a beach shuttle to all the resorts along the coast beneath Taormina, it runs regularly from the bus station and takes around 15mins, same as the cable car which leaves from its own 'station' across the road from the bus station and takes you down to the beaches of Isola bella and Mazzarò.

If you like something a little different, you could catch a bus to a town where the Circumetnea railway passes through, and go for a 'spaghetti western' style train ride round the volcano... get off the train and visit the towns and villages, see the magnificent churches carved from black lava stone, some of the lava comes right up to the railway line, like huge whorls of liquorice ! Hope you enjoy your trip !

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Independent bus trips from Taormina

Taormina is small, one long central high street (Corso Umberto) on the flat, and tiny alleyways, mostly stepped, going up or downhill on either side of it. There's no call for a bus within the town itself - the high street is semi-pedestrianised and walkable. It's set up high on the mountain and Giardini Naxos is the beach 'town' down beneath it - buses run regularly to Giardini Naxos (heartstopping hairpin bends on a steep road on stilts up the mountain ! The bus has to go right over onto the wrong side othe road to get round them - scary at night !). The funivia (cablecar) goes down to another two beaches below Taormina: Mazzaro and Isola Bella, and takes fifteen minutes.

You can get to those beaches on a bus too. There's also a beach shuttle bus going in the other direction, fifteen minutes to the beach at Letojanni.

The 'Interbus' public bus service is cheap, efficient and comfortable with air-conditioning. We used the buses to visit Acireale, Castelmola (above Taormina with magnificent views down to the sea and over Taormina immediately below- and views of Etna), and other places. You can also get a train from Giardini Naxos (Taormina) railway station - part of the national network. We also took the Interbus coach to the nearest station on the Circumetnea railway - and did the circuit of Mt Etna on the train. The train is not air-conditioned...unless you count wide open windows ! I understand it can be done on the buses too. We stopped half way round at Randazzo - where we visited the town (churches built out of lava stone) and ate a wonderful meal at 'Osteria degli Antichi Sapori' - near the Palazzo Comunale (town hall). There was no menu - you let the waiter guide you as to what to have ("sorry, no fish, we're at five hundred metres above sea level !") and try the 'antipasto' which is different from the usual plate of assorted meats and other goodies... at this place, you get tasters of about ten different vegetable antipasti - cooked individually and presented consecutively on little saucers as soon as you've swallowed the previous morsel ! Items such as battered zucchini flowers, tiny spinach fritters, peperonata, grilled zucchini, grilled aubergines... you would just get one zucchini flower each, one slice of grilled aubergine each, one tablespoonful of peperonata each, etc. and the cannoli were the best I'd eaten - they were fresh tasting and delicious - not so over sweet and cloying as those elsewhere.

We didn't need a car and were there for two weeks ! If you want to travel further afield, then you might need to consider a two-centre holiday - we found it would take too long or awkward to get to places like Syracuse from Taormina on buses. There were coach tours arranged to other cities and up Mt. Etna - but we wanted a restful holiday, and I didn't fancy getting up at dawn to leave the bus station on a coach at six in the morning !!!

The Circumetnea train (Giarre to Bronte is the best bit - it gets a bit 'suburban' around the Catania side ) it's like a trip on a train in a spaghetti western ! The single track railway, hot sun beating down, open windows, carriages rocking from side to side with patched red leather seats.... the jingling bells as you go through level crossings... and the view of cactus and great swirls of lava flows like black treacle folded back on itself, and the smoking volcano with patches of snow even in July. We took the airconditioned but to Giarre where we were going to catch the train, but the service was suspended for works on the line - so they laid on a bus to Linguaglossa. The bus arrived on time, but we had to ask the driver, because the front sign said another town - and his colleague - who turned out to be the ticket controller confirmed 'this bus is the circumetnea train ...' Passengers were accompanied to Linguaglossa station where the tickets were duly produced and paid for. The ticket can be bought in stages so you can get off en route. We went as far as Randazzo, where we had lunch and admired the historic buildings - but everything else was shut because we arrived at 14.00 and caught the next train at 17.00 just as everything was coming to life again ! We did the whole trip as far as Catania. I could have done without the heat and the noise of the last hour and a half - the train really rattles, and the end of the line near Catania is a bit too much of the buildings and cars etc. of suburban Catania. But the first bit was good. And the lunch experience was worth it !

So - I suppose with hindsight, I would reconsider the timetable - leave earlier - to get to Randazzo before lunch, and perhaps go on to Bronte and then see if there is another route back another way by air-conditioned bus ! The train was cheap too. We found that from Taormina all the organised tours left between 6am and 8am - before the hotel breakfast. And, I'm not an early bird - so cringed at having to be up at dawn to get to the bus station for 6am. You must be able to get a Circumetnea timetable on the web. Try doing a search. Hope you enjoy your trip !

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,512 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Independent bus trips from Taormina

As Nolana said, in addition to independently taking buses, you could also take group bus tours.

SAIS:

Corso Umberto, 222

ph. .39.0942.625 179

http://www.saistours.com/escursioni.html

SAT - Sicilian Airbus Travel:

Corso Umberto 73

Tel. 0942.24653

http://www.sat-group.it/

www.sat-group.it/excursion_en.asp?cod=summer

www.satgroup.it/excursion_en.asp?cod=winter

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187892-d6…

Vagabonda

Sheffield, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Independent bus trips from Taormina

Wow! so much information. Thank you so much - we love exploring on our own when on holiday. It looks like it is going to be an active holiday now, not much sitting around the pool! Thanks again.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,512 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Independent bus trips from Taormina

And Taormina is an outstanding base for touring Eastern Sicily – Buses, trains, and excursions. Travel by bus when possibly - Buses are fast and reliable and you will appreciate the air conditioning in summer.

Enjoy exploring!

Vagabonda

London, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Independent bus trips from Taormina

Vagabonda

Hi.....it's me again seeking once more to pick your brains :)

My wife & I have finalised arrangements and will, all being well, definitely be at the Belvedere for a week during September.

As I'd intimated to you before, I would like to do a trip to Reggio di Calabria as a must and, having discounted a private car as being too costly, had decided to do the trip as follows.

Taxi, then Bus to Messina, then Ferry to Reggio di Calabria and finally taxi to the museum to see the famous bronzes.

This procedure would then be reversed to get us home.

It has just struck me that there may be an organised tour from Taormina that would cover the same ground.

Would you know of any such tours?

Many thanks

Ron

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,837 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Independent bus trips from Taormina

Ron

Glad to see are going to Sicily, Vagsbonda will help you, she is qa mine of information, let us know how it goes,

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,512 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Independent bus trips from Taormina

Hi Ron – Any time!

Belvedere in September – How wonderful! :-)

Reggio di Calabria is not a typical tour from Taormina, so there is no organised tour. Any tour would be a private excursion. I just double checked this information with Taormina’s Tourist Information for you to be absolutely sure. The best you could do would be a driver with Sicily Life that would customize the drive for you.

Hope you and your wife will have a lovely visit in Taormina, and hope to hear all about it on your return.

Kind Regards,

Vagabonda

10. Re: Independent bus trips from Taormina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2009, 05:23
Get answers to your questions about Taormina