We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self catering at Christmas

Which Taormina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
45 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Self catering at Christmas

Not like us to be so organised but we're looking for a self catering appt for 2 weeks over Christmas 2010 in Taormina. Two people, must be central within short walking distance of restaurants, good food shops, delis, markets as we plan to spend lots of time buying and eating delicious food. Would like views if possible. Can anyone recommend an area or suggest best way to find an appt? Many thanks.

Belfast, NI
Level Contributor
406 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self catering at Christmas

Ive stayed in Villa Costanza and can definitely recommend it - you'll find my review on here somewhere. There seemed to be plenty of heaters although I have never stayed in winter so can't say for absolute sure that you'll be warm enough :)

Please do post and let us know how it goes, have always fancied doing this myself!

London
Level Contributor
45 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self catering at Christmas

Thanks very much - will check it out.

Hednesford
Level Contributor
191 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self catering at Christmas

We stayed in Taormina in a hotel and while we were there we went to a small Pasticceria called D'amore. On their web site they have a Villa Galante and if we go back we thought we might have a look. We have not been to the villa but the cakes at the pasticceria were great !!!!. So the Villa might be worth a look.

Carol

London
Level Contributor
45 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self catering at Christmas

Thank you Carol

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,033 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Self catering at Christmas

Welcome to Sicily Ralyall!

Taormina is quite compact, so any location in the historic centre would be acceptable.

The Taormina Tourist Information website lists apartments in Taormina.

www.gate2taormina.com/accommodation_en.htm

family vacation:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k3478…

And you might check this site as well!

www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com/town.cfm…

Taormina was just beautiful last Christmas – Enjoy!

Vagabonda

London
Level Contributor
45 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self catering at Christmas

Thanks Vagabonda

Another question. My husband is 70 and not keen on walking up and down hills which is why we want to stay in the centre of town so we can get to shops and cafes easily. However have seen Taormina described as hilly. Is it hilly within the centre of town or is the town itself in a hilly area? Can you help please?

Rosey

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,238 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self catering at Christmas

The actual Corso Umberto the High Street( as such) is on the level , as Vagabonda says the centre is compact, other wise it is certainly not flat, but such a beautiful Town , we were there last year, not that mobile but really it is manageable and worth it,

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,033 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Self catering at Christmas

Ciao Ralyall

Corso Umberto is Taormina’s main street and it’s relatively flat, but there are alleys with hills and steps off this street – Janderra has researched this same issue and has been very happy with her choice to stay at an apartment in Mama Maria B&B – This accommodation would also be a good option for you!

Mamma Maria B&B:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k3338…

Some of Janderra’s research….

Apartments for 2 in central Taormina:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k3294…

Vagabonda

Hednesford
Level Contributor
191 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self catering at Christmas

Hi The main street is about a mile long and is quit flat. From there most things are up steps that can be quite hard work. There are lots of shops and places to eat along the main street but it depends on how far you want to go if there is enough for a two week stay.

Carol

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,033 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Self catering at Christmas

That's a very good point - Two weeks would be a long time to spend in Taormina in December - You could spend a week in Taormina and a week in Cefalù.

Vagabonda