We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taormina restaurants

london
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taormina restaurants

Please recommend good and inexpensive restaurants in Taormina. Must say I am a foodie which does not mean I eat in Michelin stars restaurants but do expect my food to be prepeared well and from freshest ingredients...

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,981 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taormina restaurants

Ciao TattyLondon – Well that’s wonderful because Michelin doesn’t mean authentic or necessarily wonderful in Sicily, and in fact some of your best dinners might be enjoyed in family-owned osterie or trattorie.

Always check trattorie or osterie since they would be less expensive than restaurants.

Rule of thumb – The further the restaurant is located off Corso Umberto in Taormina, the better and more likely to be less touristy, less expensive, and more authentic. It’s generally a good sign if the restaurant or trattorie isn’t located on Corso Umberto.

Typical local cuisine can be found in Taormina at Licchio’s, Osteria Nero D'Avola, Licchio’s, Trattoria da Nino, Trattoria Don Camillo, as well as Il Barcaiolo in Mazzaro, Al Saraceno on the road to Castelmola, and Gallo Cedrone in Castelmola to name but a few, and da Cristina Panificio (take-out, pizza, foccacia) and Chemi's Gelateria Pasticceria Etna (gelati).

Taormina Restaurants:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k3080…

And for lunch….

Restaurant etiquette:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3731…

Buon Appetito!

Vagabonda

Rosetown, Canada
Level Contributor
301 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taormina restaurants

I would recommend Osteria da Rita - it is a tiny place, off the beaten path, with terrific food, and inexpensive - we ate here one evening and loved the food.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,981 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taormina restaurants

Da Rita is an inexpensive and local osteria located at Via Calapitrulli, 3 (0942 625359).

Would you consider writing a restaurant review green4eva?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187892-d1…

Vagabonda

london
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Taormina restaurants

thank you. Will check it out the suggestions.....-;)))

Lake Charles, LA
Level Contributor
109 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taormina restaurants

Al Saraceno has fantastic view of Etna and the bay. The owners are very friendly. Our food was good but not great. I have heard that the pizza is very good, and would definitely return to try it..

Licchios was our favorite restaurant in Taomina, even better than Principe Cerami.

Due to a mixup, we never got to try Da Nino.

Interestingly, we stumbled upon a great beachside restaurant in Giardini-Naxos called La Vela. As we were passing by one day looking for lunch, it was one of the few restaurants with 3 tables filled, and the people looked like locals. We had a great meal here - the pastas, fish and meat were all very very good.

Good luck

Edited: 27 July 2010, 03:56
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,981 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taormina restaurants

Ciao GRtraveler_8,

Would you write a restaurant review for the Giaridini discovery?

Thanking you in advance....

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,981 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taormina restaurants

La Vela is located at Lungomare Tysandros, 88 - 0942 571570.

Vagabonda

Lake Charles, LA
Level Contributor
109 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taormina restaurants

I will be posting a long trip report to tell of our escapades, and will write the restauant reviews with the posting.

BTW, what do the three legs (on many Sicilian souvenirs) symbolize?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,981 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taormina restaurants

Thank you GRtraveler_8 – Will you write the restaurant reviews in the restaurant review sections?

The three bent legs on Sicily’s flag represent the three points of the island Sicily.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Trinacria

Vagabonda

Lake Charles, LA
Level Contributor
109 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taormina restaurants

Absolutely. I should have time tis weekend.

Thank you info the info about the three-legged symbol.

Get answers to your questions about Taormina