We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mazzaro,s sea palace hotel

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
584 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
mazzaro,s sea palace hotel

Vagabonda will likely answer. In 2002 we stayed at Mazzaro,s and loved the hotel. I wondered why it does not get a higher rating than 53 in Taormina? I thought it was one of the best hotels when I stayed there. Why is it rated 53, is it because it is not in Taormina itself or just getting old??Gene

Mentioned in this post
Mazzaro
Mazzaro
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,908 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: mazzaro,s sea palace hotel

Ciao genebeans,

5* Mazzaro’s Sea Palace Hotel has a rating of 87% based on 8 reviews.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187892-d254201…

Mazzaro’s Sea Palace Hotel’s location in Taormina Mare shouldn’t bring down its score because it’s not in Taormina.

But TA does have a system for ranking hotels - Ratings, number of reviews, date of reviews….

You might also find this earlier thread interesting….

Tripadvisor VS Conde Nast Hotel Ratings

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k16662…

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Mazzaro
Mazzaro
Sicily, Italy
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
584 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mazzaro,s sea palace hotel

Grazie vagabonda- I still like Mazzaro,s even though it requires a cable car ride which you previously advised on the time it runs etc so I am happy with my choice..Thank you-Gene

Mentioned in this post
Mazzaro
Mazzaro
Sicily, Italy
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: mazzaro,s sea palace hotel

Thanks, Vagabonda. Genebeans, Vagabonda is correct that the location does not influence the rankings, and neither does the age of a property (except perhaps indirectly, if travelers are disappointed with the location or with some age-related aspect of the property and give the property lower ratings as a result).

The rankings are derived primarily from the reviews and ratings that travelers have given a property on TripAdvisor: tripadvisor.com/help/how_does_the_popularity… . As Vagabonda mentioned, this property has relatively few reviews, particularly compared to the top-ranked properties in Taormina, many of which have well over 100 reviews, and the average traveler rating is not as high as it is for some other properties in the area. This doesn't mean it's not a fine hotel; rather other hotels in the area have been reviewed more often and received higher ratings.

Thanks,

Dan

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,908 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mazzaro,s sea palace hotel

You are not alone genebeans – Many prefer staying in Mazzarò to staying in Taormina and certainly the 5* Mazzaro’s Sea Palace Hotel is a luxurious hotel, and obviously it has chemistry for you!!

Buy the funivia tickets in bulk and save!

www.taorminaservizipubblici.it/index.php…

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Mazzaro
Mazzaro
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,908 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: mazzaro,s sea palace hotel

Thanks Dan - So if I understand this clearly, primary rankings are based on traveller’s reviews about a particular hotel, but then those rankings are compared to other hotels in that locale for an overall ranking.

Vagabonda

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
584 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mazzaro,s sea palace hotel

I feel much better now that you have said this is a fine hotel. You are correct in that we were there before and very comfortable for our liking so thank you. I will definitely buy the Funivia tickets in bulk as you suggested to me.

Thank as always for your response-Gene

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,908 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: mazzaro,s sea palace hotel

Ciao genebeans,

As a prior guest at Grand Hotel Mazzarò Sea Palace, you generally know what to expect, and you were very comfortable and it was to your liking.

New boutique luxury hotels have been making quite a splash in Taormina – El Jebel, Hotel Imperiale, and now the newest Metropole Taormina Maison D'Hôtes, and with favourites like Villa Ducale, Villa Carlotta, Villa and Villa Angela, the competition is steep in Taormina for those TA ratings.

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
584 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mazzaro,s sea palace hotel

What it really is we like the fact that being near the water is kind of casual as I dress for work all the time and when on vacation I don,t enjoy having to be dressed for dinner etc. I like it casual even though we like 5 star however this past year in Positano we were right at the beach level and very comfortable with our clothing etc. I can get fancy hotels like the Ritz Carlton here so I appreciate sort of not so fancy hotels when in Italy.I know you understand. To each his own i guess but you are so right that Mazzaro,s will be good for us-- Many many thanks for your great insight into

Taormina and people,s feelings in general. You are truly an expert-Gene

Mentioned in this post
Mazzaro
Mazzaro
Sicily, Italy
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: mazzaro,s sea palace hotel

Yes, Vagabonda, the individual hotel ratings are based on the reviews for each hotel, and then these ratings are compared to rank the hotels in a destination.

Thanks,

Dan

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,908 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: mazzaro,s sea palace hotel

Thanks so much for your very kind comments Gene – Holidays are probably the only time during the entire year where we are free to do as we please. Do what makes you happy and enjoy!

Sicily does accommodate the type of holiday you enjoy. Many new boutique agriturismi and small luxury hotels are opening throughout Sicily, very comfortable, excellent cuisine, but also casual.

Wishing you a wonderful holiday, and hoping to hear from you on your return.

Kind Regards,

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy