We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What airline would you recommend from Catania to Rome?

Illinois
Level Contributor
143 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
What airline would you recommend from Catania to Rome?

My husband and I will be leaving for Taormina soon and have decided that nearer the end of our stay we'll fly out of Catania to Rome for a few days of sightseeing before returning to the U.S. Which of the various airline companies would you recommend that fly directly into Rome? Are "Windjet" and "Blue-Express" the smaller airline companies and would you say they are very reliable (no lost luggage) and reasonably priced?? I'd like to hear from anyone who has flown with any of the airline companies that fly from Catania to Rome. THANKS!

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,704 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What airline would you recommend from Catania to Rome?

Select on price. I don't think there is any difference in reliability.

However, be aware that the cheaper airlines may have limits on luggage weight and high fees for excess luggage.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What airline would you recommend from Catania to Rome?

You've got three choices: Alitalia, Windjet and Blu Express. All have baggage limitations, but Alitalia's restrictions are a little more generous. I would select the most convenient flight at a fare which is acceptable to you. Beware that you pay 7 Euros extra on Windjet for each piece of checked luggage, with a total weight limit of 20 kilos. On Blu Express, there is no extra charge for checked luggage within the stingy limit of 15 kilos. Alitalia's limit is 23 kilos, with no extra charge for one piece within this limit.

Honestly, I would take Alitalia (which has by far the best selection of flights) if their fare is within 20 Euros of the "low-cost" competition (which is often the case).

NOTE: Meridiana has a code-share service with Windjet on this route (but the plane is operated by Windjet).

Illinois
Level Contributor
143 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What airline would you recommend from Catania to Rome?

Since this is our first trip to Sicily (I've visited parts of mainland Italy several times), I wasn't too familiar with the airline companies for the Catania to Rome route. I have taken Alitalia before (from Chicago to Rome) but thought that airline might be cost prohibitive. However, I'm going to do a search and specifically look for luggage weight restrictions. My husband and I had planned on a carry-on each plus one piece of luggage but on past trips my large piece of luggage has been weighing in at about 40-45 lbs. TO Europe and 50-55 lbs. on the way back, which might be a costly situation!! Thanks so much for all the replies!! This is such a fantastic website!!

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Europe
Europe
World
No. California
Level Contributor
313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What airline would you recommend from Catania to Rome?

We just booked flights on Air Italy last week for a flight from Catania to Naples. The rates were very reasonable, comparable with the train so we decided to fly and save the time. The luggage restrictions were about the same as our flights from San Francisco to Rome on Delta. We also have Aitalia flights from Rome to Palermo and are OK on the baggage limits.

We are each taking one 26 inch bag for checking plus a carry on tote. The Air Italy website - airitaly.it was very easy to use and you can easily check their baggage restrictions for yourself. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
No. California
Level Contributor
313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What airline would you recommend from Catania to Rome?

I just looked and it doesn't look like there are flights from Catania to Rome. I just assumed there would be. Well, good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava, London
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What airline would you recommend from Catania to Rome?

Hi, if it's not too expensive, chosse Alitalia. I do not suggest Windjet, as many travellers (me included) had experienced problems. Have a look here too www.airlinequality.com/Forum/windjet.htm

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,860 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What airline would you recommend from Catania to Rome?

Ciao EuropeanTraveler6977,

WindJet, blu-express, and Alitalia fly from Catania to Rome Fiumicino.

Always anticipate delays and lost luggage on ANY airline – Plan well when packing your carry-on….

There’s little difference between the airlines these days – Select based on schedule and price, but again beware the baggage allowances on low-cost airlines. Probably first consider Alitalia and then blu-express.

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Fiumicino
Fiumicino
Province of Rome, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,860 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What airline would you recommend from Catania to Rome?

Glad that you have decided to fly and save time readyinredding!

Vagabonda

No. California
Level Contributor
313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What airline would you recommend from Catania to Rome?

Hello Vagabonda. Yes, thank you so much for all the information and advice. We are all set for Sicily. We will spend the 2 nights in Isola delle Femmine at the "family hotel" and then 3 nights in Catania. Even though we would have liked to stay in Taormina, we think Catania makes more sense. We are booked at the Liberty Hotel. This makes for one crazy day in between. We have a driver who will transport us to Agrigento with a stop in Corleone, visit the ruins and then take the early evening train to Catania. Well, as you have said 5 days is not enough time but we will do with what we have.

With the extra half day we have acquired by flying to Naples, we will spend a few hours seeing some of the sights and having a famous Naples pizza, before transfering to Sorrento for 4 nights.

We now have all 29 nights of our trip booked and all transportation booked or at least figured out, so all is going well in the planning department. Thank you again so much. Your knowledge has been of great value.

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Liberty Hotel
Liberty Hotel
831 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Agrigento
Agrigento
Sicily, Italy
Naples
Naples
Sorrento
Sorrento
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,860 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What airline would you recommend from Catania to Rome?

Ciao readyinredding – Truly my pleasure!

Catania was your practical choice and the Liberty Hotel is a wonderful choice - Enjoy!

Who have you hired for your drive to Agrigento?

Take the faster SAIS Trasporti bus between Agrigento and Catania – The train is always late!

http://www.saistrasporti.it/

And you might also consider asking the Liberty Hotel to prearrange a transfer from Catania’s bus station to the hotel.

You are certainly making the best use of your 5 days in Sicily!

You might change your plans in Naples – You could take the Alibus from the Naples airport, store your luggage at the train station, and take the Circumvesuviana from Naples to Sorrento, but that’s really all a big hassle.

…gesac.it/portal/…Autobus

www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/index.jsp…

http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en

I would recommend taking the direct Curreri Viaggi bus from the airport in Naples to Sorrento and returning to Naples from Sorrento via the Circumvesuviana without luggage.

Please consider writing a trip report on your return, especially about your experience at the “family” hotel!

The best –

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Liberty Hotel
Liberty Hotel
831 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Agrigento
Agrigento