We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taormina or Giardni Naxos???

Which Taormina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
275 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Taormina or Giardni Naxos???

I am really having a hard time deciding on staying in Taormina itself or down the hill in Giardini Naxos?? Cost is an issue but we also want to be able to move around to see other parts of the area. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Lastly, is it possible to get from Taormina to CTA airport early in the morning. We would need to leave Taormina around 5:00 am??

Thank you

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,863 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taormina or Giardni Naxos???

Welcome to Sicily M-LOhio!

Giardini is less expensive than Taormina. A beach resort town, Giardini is also a good base for seeing the area and moving around is easy by train, bus or excursions.

Consider that Giardini is located along the coast. Taormina is a mediaeval hill town located in a scenic position above the coast with stunning views of Etna and the sea, and although a charming town, also more expensive than Giardini.

trekearth.com/gallery/…

trekearth.com/gallery/…

It is possible however to stay in Taormina on a budget!

Taormina Prices..... :

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k3698…

The first Interbus departs Taormina for the airport at 6.30.

You could taxi to the train station in Giardini and take an early train to Catania around 5.20, but then you would be required to take the AMT Alibus 457 from Catania’s train station to the airport.

http://www.amt.ct.it/PercorsieOrari.php

With such an early departure and luggage, consider a private transfer.

transport from Catania airport to Taormina:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k3674…

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taormina or Giardni Naxos???

M-LOhio,

I, too, was having a hard time deciding. I stayed in Giardini Naxos several years back, and went up to Taormina for a day. For this upcoming trip, I took into account the winding road, and even counted how many times I have to go up and down the hill, ... and my decision is to stay up in Taormina this time. I want to get a feel of the town. Even though Giardini Naxos is only 5/10 mins away by bus, doing a day trip up there is not the same. I used to think that it'd be costly to stay up there, but with Vagabonda's help, I found a VERY reasonably priced B&B.

When are you going? Is proximity to the beach important?

By the way, I did enjoy my stay in Giardini Naxos.

Ohio
Level Contributor
275 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taormina or Giardni Naxos???

Thank you for your kind reply. I have been reading your post for tow days.

Do you have any Hotel/ B&B recomendations for each town that might not be too expensive? Also, if we stay in GN is it very easy to get to Taormina for the day??

Lastly, any recoendations of a small Sicilian town that is close for a day trip

Thanks again I will read your recomendations

MArk

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,863 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taormina or Giardni Naxos???

Ciao vteotl,

I agree the “feel” between Giardini and Taormina is very different, and spending the night is really the only way to really get a feel for a town. It’s just not the same on a day trip.

If proximity to the beach is important to you, and you would like ease of transport to Taormina (by funivia), you could also consider Taormina Mare-Mazzarò.

Regards,

Vagabonda

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,817 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taormina or Giardni Naxos???

Getting between Giardini-Naxos and Taormina proper is a cinch by bus. Here are the schedules. Notice the seasonality and different weekend schedules:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

The round-trip day fare is 2.80 Euros, and you can purchase a 5-day bus pass for 10 Euros, or a 6-day pass for 12 Euros (valid between GN and Taormina).

Notice also the bus service to Gole Alcantara and to Mazzaro'.

From the GN train station, you can also easily reach all towns along the eastern coast, from Messina in the north to Catania and Siracusa to the south.

Staying overnight in GN is definitely less "quaint" than staying in Taormina proper, but is more convenient for public transportation.

Ohio
Level Contributor
275 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taormina or Giardni Naxos???

Ok- all good information, Thank you. I thinkk if we could afford it we would stay in Taormina, can anyone make some suggestions??

Also, it seems as if would would like need a car for our trip due to the public transportation? is that true?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,863 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taormina or Giardni Naxos???

What am I missing GAC about the bus service to Mazzarò?

When will you visit?

It should also be noted that in summer, the buses between Giardini and Taormina are very crowded.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,863 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taormina or Giardni Naxos???

Ciao M-LOhio,

You would not require a car – You can easily get around with public transport (bus and train), reasonably priced group bus excursions, private transfers or tours.

The Taormina Tourist Information Office lists all accommodations with links to the hotel websites. What’s you budget and what type of accommodation do you prefer (hotel, B&B, self-catering…)? Consider Joan Heritage, Villa Sara……

casaleonardi.dyndns.org/accommodation_en.htm

Vagabonda

Ohio
Level Contributor
275 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taormina or Giardni Naxos???

Thank you again:

Last question I promise!

We will be in Italy this May and will be along the Amalfi cost prior to heading to Catiana, We are thinking that we will need to head back to Naples to fly down to CTA. That is a long trek back along the cost. Is there another option to get from Amalfi/ Minori area to CTA or Taormina?? If not we will fly from NAP

Thank you for the additonal advice

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,863 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Taormina or Giardni Naxos???

Just noticed the service from the train station to Mazzarò and Isola Bella - It's about time!!!

Thanks GAC!

Vagabonda

Get answers to your questions about Taormina