We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time too book a hotel for October

Which Taormina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Best time too book a hotel for October

Well thanks to Vagabonda I've planned my little Sicilian sojourn.

However I have a bit of a silly question. Taormina hotels appear to be quite pricey though I was hoping they might be a little lower in October which I believe is shoulder season.

Was wondering if anyone had experiences booking hotels in Taormina last minute and getting good deals, or do hotels fill up very early even for October. I know I can get a better price by using an 'early booking' rate with some hotels, but given how late into the trip it is, I dont really want to risk a non-refundable fare (already risking enough of those!)

Normally I wouldn't care (much) about a few dollars here or there, but after almost 2 months travel in Europe I think the wallet will be getting very light by this stage.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,130 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time too book a hotel for October

Ciao Cdchi1 – Well that indeed is good news! :-)

October may be shoulder season, but it’s still one of the most popular months to visit Sicily.

frommers.com/destinations/…0771020006.html

There are many hotels in Taormina, so you might secure a last-minute bargain, but if you’ve found an acceptable early booking, it might be worth considering.

You could also check some solid tried and true less expensive accommodations like Joan Heritage and book now.

Buona Fortuna!

Vagabonda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time too book a hotel for October

Thanks Vagabonda.

Was leaning towards Hotel Schuler (given their very helpful reply to my email).

But any opinion on Hotel Bel Soggiorno?

Seems to have many good reviews on TripAdvisor but the price for a double single use (with balcony and sea view according to their website) seems too good to be true.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,130 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time too book a hotel for October

Both good options, both family-owned, neither would disappoint….

But Via L. Pirandello is a busy street and Villa Schuler has the more convenient location in Taormina’s historic centre just below Corso Umberto, but it’s still peaceful and quiet with stunning views of the sea and Etna, a lovely terrace and garden, and a copious breakfast, and new for this season, a roof terrace.

tripadvisor.com/…last

The Bel Soggiorno Hotel is traditional, the feel of a house, also with garden and terraces and views, also a good value with helpful staff…..

If price is equal, your decision may come down to and location….

Vagabonda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time too book a hotel for October

Thanks Vagabonda,

The price of the Bel Soggiorno is 280 Euro for 4 nights. That is almost 400 Euro less than Hotel Schuler (and many of the other hotels I looked at such as Carlotta and Belvedere).

Very big difference in price which makes me nervous :-)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,130 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time too book a hotel for October

Ciao Cdchi1,

Villa Carlotta is 4* and boutique.

3* Villa Schuler has always been considered a very good value hotel with a lovely and convenient location in Taormina's historic centre.

Bel Soggiorno is also 3* with excellent reviews and it’s also a good value hotel, but it lacks the historic centre location. It's about a 20-minute walk (uphill) to Porta Messina.

Vagabonda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time too book a hotel for October

Thank you Vagabonda...I am trying very hard to convince myself to book Villa Schuler despite the cost :-)

Managed to book Domus Mariae in Ortygia for a very good rate therefore I might be able to afford it.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,130 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time too book a hotel for October

It shouldn’t be that hard to convince yourself Cdchi1 – If Villa Schuler could fit your budget, you’ll love the location!

Albergo Domus Mariae is well positioned on Ortigia with views on the open sea side of Ortigia, an easy walk to anything on the island.

The best -

Vagabonda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time too book a hotel for October

Thanks...I did it! Well over my budget but i figured after 2 months running around Spain and Italy, I would need something very relaxing before my final 5 hectic days in Rome to finish off :-)

Thanks again for all your help on this thread and the other one!!! Helped alot.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,130 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time too book a hotel for October

Congrats Cdchi1 – Prego!

But if Villa Schuler is way over your budget, did you really make the choice that was best for you given that Bel Soggiorno is also a good option.

Villa Schuler is lovely – Sitting on that terrace with those views….

The best –

Vagabonda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time too book a hotel for October

Yes it was not an easy decision...but I never received an email response from Bel Soggiorno, and the Schuler location is perfect. The room also looks amazing.

The thing about the Bel Soggiorno was that the 'double for single use' rate was almost half the normal double rate so was a bit nervous about what kind of room I would actually get. Probably wouldn't have been a problem, but decided not to take the risk.

I have found that hotels often always have a couple of 'broom closets' that they try to pass off as rooms...even Schuler has one, though they were very upfront about how tiny it was and it was HEAVILY discounted.