We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taormina Mare - a perfect holiday spot

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Taormina Mare - a perfect holiday spot

We have just returned from twelve wonderful nights at Villa Sant'Andrea in Mazarro and I have posted a review on the hotel and also on il Barcaiolo and da Andrea, two restaurants in Mazarro which we enjoyed a lot.

We loved the bay and the swimming and the boat trips ( the water is so clear ) and also the ease of using the cable car to and from Taormina. As well as Etna and the Greek theatre and the daily promenade on the Corso Umberto, do make sure to explore the little back streets of Taormina and Lady Florence's garden.

Our favourite trip was to Syracuse, the Greek/Roman theatre and the incredible old town of Ortygia, the stone buildings glow in the sunshine. We had the most wonderful guide with us all day , although you could of course explore by yourselves with a guide book.

Vagabonda thank you for your help a while ago when I was organising the holiday. We have fallen in a big way for Sicily and the friendliness of the people that we met ( I wondered how it would compare with the mainland which we adore ) and I am now researching Noto for a future trip and avidly watching Inspector Moltobano ( being shown here on BBC4 ) for other Sicilian delights for our next trip. My motto is always to leave something for a future trip and Noto is that something, along with the Inspector Moltobano tour!

If I can be of any help with any questions on Taormina Mare I am happy to assist.

Judith

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taormina Mare - a perfect holiday spot

Whoops - should have typed Inspector Montalbano... apologies.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,593 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taormina Mare - a perfect holiday spot

Welcome back MontagueSomerset and thank you for your most delightful trip report and reviews – It was my pleasure!

Might I inquire about your wonderful guide in Siracusa??

You might enjoy earlier Inspector Moltobano threads....

Montalbano places :):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k4253…

Deserted streets:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3274…

And there are some excellent Montalbano tours!

http://www.montalbanotour.eu/English.htm

tourofsicily.com/Sicily_Film_Locations.htm

Have you selected an accommodation in the Val di Noto?

Agriturismo Borgo Alveria is lovely with a very good restaurant.

http://www.borgoalveria.com/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g652022-d149743…

Kind regards,

Vagabonda

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taormina Mare - a perfect holiday spot

Vagabonda thank you so much for all the threads, I shall enjoy reading them all, it is so kind of you to send them to me.

We struck gold with our guide, Giovanni, a small, round, happy man with the most beautiful voice. He met us at the Teatro Grecco and whilst we were in the Orecchio di Dionisio the ear of Dionysius ( a cave with remarkable accoustic qualities), he called for silence and he sang two operatic arias. There were two tour groups in the cave at the time and I am quite sure that he sings with each tour, but it was magical and helped me with the awful feeling that I always get when I am viewing a site where human sacrifices have been made. He then came with us to Ortygia and took us in to the Duomo and to see the Caravaggio. We were sorry to say goodbye to him.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,593 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taormina Mare - a perfect holiday spot

Prego MontagueSomerset – If you are a Commissario Montalbano fan you should enjoy those threads!

Your day in Siracusa was lovely – Beautiful memories!

Kind regards,

Vagabonda

5. Re: Taormina Mare - a perfect holiday spot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 14:17