We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Names of restaurants serving gluten free food in Taormina?

Which Taormina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
96 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Names of restaurants serving gluten free food in Taormina?

Can anyone please indicate to us any names of restaurants in Taormina which serve gluten free pasta or pizza please? Or which maybe serve any other gluten free food? We are planning a holiday in Taormina and my girlfriend is coeliac and for this reason I need to find some restaurants which serve gluten free food. Thanks in advance

(Potete per favore indicarci nomi di ristoranti in Taormina che servono pasta o pizza o altri piatti senza glutine per celiachi per favore?)

Christopher Micallef

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,951 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Names of restaurants serving gluten free food in Taormina?

Welcome to Sicily ChrisMicallef!

Celiac is quite prevalent among Italians. With such high consumption of pasta in Italy, people suffering gluten intolerance are easier to diagnose than in some other countries, and as a result, there is more awareness for celiac and gluten intolerance.

You shouldn’t encounter too many problems in your travels. Although there is no specific “gluten-free” restaurant in Taormina, most restaurants could accommodate your dietary needs once you tell them, “Senza glutine”.

The Celiac Travel site provides free cards in 37 languages.

www.celiactravel.com/restaurant-cards.html

Italian Celiac Travel Card:

celiactravel.com/gluten-free-cards/21-italia…

Associazone Italiana Celiachia is the Italian Celiac Association.

http://www.celiachia.it/home/HomePage.aspx

http://www.aicsiciliaonlus.it/

http://www.afc.aicsiciliaonlus.it/main

Here are suggestions for nearby Giardini.

Gluten Free Restaurants in Sicily:

sicilyguide.com/2010/…

You will also find gluten-free products in supermarkets - Local supermarkets have a "senza glutine" freezer section where you could purchase gluten-free bread, pizza, or pasta. You might consider buying pasta and bringing it to restaurants for cooking.

You will also be able to get gluten free foods in pharmacies – Usually order a day prior.

And you could always order rice based dishes (risotto) which is widely eaten throughout Italy. Chickpea flour would also be acceptable, as well as polenta (corn) cheeses, and vegetable.

The Gluten-Free Guide to Italy:

www.gfguideny.com/homegfguideitaly.html

Vagabonda

Belfast, NI
Level Contributor
393 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Names of restaurants serving gluten free food in Taormina?

I know for sure that ristorante le naumachie does gluten free pasta since we were there with a friend who prefers to avoid wheat last year. They were also v understanding of the gluten free concept.

Osteria Nero davola has also been very accommodating with providing vegetarian food off menu so I would guess they would be the same re gluten free.

Good luck!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,951 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Names of restaurants serving gluten free food in Taormina?

Yes, Osteria Nero D’Avola is especially accommodating of all special dietary requests - You could also meet with the owner earlier in the day to discuss your needs.

But really you will find restaurants knowledgeable and accommodating.

Vagabonda

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
96 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Names of restaurants serving gluten free food in Taormina?

Many thanks to both of you for your great help. We will definitely try the Le Naumichie and the Osteria Nero D'Avola and then I hope we can find some other good restaurants, especially I would really like to find some good pizzeria whcih can make gluten free pizzas and glutne free Sicilian specialities such as Cannoli and cassata siciliana.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,951 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Names of restaurants serving gluten free food in Taormina?

Prego ChrisMicallef,

Contact restaurants prior to your visit, even on arrival – Taormina’s Tourist Information will not offer any further assistance...

Buona Fortuna!

Vagabonda

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
96 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Names of restaurants serving gluten free food in Taormina?

Many thanks. Yes I will book tables and ask for gluten free upon our arrival in Taormina thanks.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,951 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Names of restaurants serving gluten free food in Taormina?

Buona vacanza in Sicilia!

Vagabonda

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
96 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Names of restaurants serving gluten free food in Taormina?

Grazie mille, non vedo l'ora :)

buon weekend a voi

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,951 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Names of restaurants serving gluten free food in Taormina?

Grazie tanti ChrisMicallef - Chi va piano, va sano e va lontano!

Vagabonda

Belfast, NI
Level Contributor
393 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Names of restaurants serving gluten free food in Taormina?

I have a feeling gluten free pizza might be a bit ambitious. Depending on the level to which you avoid gluten - don't forget most of the ovens will be full of flour so if you are coeliac the risk is very great.

Risotto is relatively common though and should be gluten free, though it's always worth checking!

Get answers to your questions about Taormina