We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jelly fish

Which Taormina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
5 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Jelly fish

What is the jelly fish situation this year. We are planning to go in september.. I hope someone will know.. Thanks in advance.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,009 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jelly fish

Welcome to Sicily Serra1907!

Conditions vary because it depends on tides, winds, and currents, so who knows by September, but there appears to be fewer this year than past years.

Vagabonda

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jelly fish

we were there last week, and on the first day there were jelly fish in Isola Bella (purple flag flying = jelly fish) - but the next day there were none, so it's variable and I guess just watchout for the purple flag flying.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,009 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jelly fish

Yes, it varies and the bagnini put up the flags when jellyfish are present.

Vagabonda

Florence, Italy
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jelly fish

I am on Elba Island right now and there are Jelly fish everywhere! We are staying in Lacona, but we have also found tons in Saint Andrea and the piscine. We don't swim at the bagnini so its mainly trail and error, and a few stings. If your swimming on a beach without flags, just ask someone who has been there for a while and they will definitely let you know.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,009 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jelly fish

There are bagnini and flags in Taormina, so you would know!

Vagabonda

modica
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jelly fish

It seems to be the Adriatic and the north MEd that has it worse this year. Have to say down on the south coast Ive not seen even one this year - but its never a huge problem. ANd in the Vendicari - zero! I know ELba has had an invasion, fortunately in Sicily we have been largely spared.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,009 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jelly fish

Yes, fewer this year than past years!

Vagabonda

8. Re: Jelly fish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 07:19