We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not rent a car from OS Autonoleggio - BE AWARE

Which Taormina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Do not rent a car from OS Autonoleggio - BE AWARE

Terrible experience in renting a car from OS Autonoleggio in Catania, Sicily.

They charged my credit card for 704.00 Euros after we left the country and returned the car in perfect condition.

We returned the car at the Catania airport on July 7th around 8:10am. An employee of the rental company checked the car, took the keys from us and said, “it was paid by credit card, no need to come into the office, all is good and you can leave”. The car was left with more fuel than it was required, and in the exact condition as at the start of the rental.

If there was any damage to the car, why was it not brought to our attention prior to accepting the keys? It is very disturbing that the rental company would lie and take advantage of foreign customers.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,364 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not rent a car from OS Autonoleggio - BE AWARE

how could you return the car with more than a full tank? it would appear that some fuel was in fact required, and all companies load up the cost.

did the 704 include the rental charge, insurance and scdw? you should have got a receipt docket from them with a breakdown of all charges. as you are from Canada, I would suspect that you were charged for normal insurance as most companies do not accept the mastercard cover.

if you were charged for something you did not get, ask your cc company to dispute the charge

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,075 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not rent a car from OS Autonoleggio - BE AWARE

Thanks for your report jjordan91, and hopefully you have contacted your credit card company. Good luck with contesting these charges.

<<The car was left with more fuel than it was required, and in the exact condition as at the start of the rental.>>

jjordan91 did not indicate anything about a full tank, and all companies do not load up the cost.

Vagabonda

3. Re: Do not rent a car from OS Autonoleggio - BE AWARE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 October 2013, 22:01
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,075 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not rent a car from OS Autonoleggio - BE AWARE

Unfortunately you are not the first to report jjordan91....

tripadvisor.com/…35933857

Good luck!

Vagabonda

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not rent a car from OS Autonoleggio - BE AWARE

At the time of the rental, the car was less than half a tank of gas, it was returned with ¾ full.

They charged my AMX $2675.32 deposit, and $360.00 for the rental. Deposit was to be credited back when the car was returned.

I contacted AMX when I saw the charges, AMX suspended the charges and contacted OS.

After two months they credited around $1600.00, and made a bogus invoice for damage for 704.00Euros($1000.00), and that is what I am disputing.

When we returned the car, an OS Autonoleggio staff took the keys from us, walked around the car, checked the gas level, and said you are good. it is on your credit card, you don’t have to come in. you can leave.

My husband and I are both professionals. My son and fiancé were with us. If there was even a slight damage why was it not brought to our attention at that time. It has just left a very bad taste………….and I would not want anybody else to go through the frustration. I am still disputing it through AMX - more than the money, I feel cheated in a country that we love travelling to . That is why I have decided to share my experience with OS Autonoleggio with other travelers.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,075 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not rent a car from OS Autonoleggio - BE AWARE

And thank you for sharing jjordan91- Hopefully AMX will come through for you!

It is a matter of principle, but also a sizable sum of money.

You might also contact the Guardia Di Finanza in Catania province - The Guardia Di Finanza investigates financial improprieties.

www.gdf.it/reparti/reparto.asp…

www.gdf.gov.it

Good luck!

Vagabonda

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do not rent a car from OS Autonoleggio - BE AWARE

Thank you so much! will do.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,075 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do not rent a car from OS Autonoleggio - BE AWARE

Prego e buona fortuna jjordan91!

Vagabonda

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do not rent a car from OS Autonoleggio - BE AWARE

The fact that they don't hire the car out with a full tank in the first place is a little strange to me and they definitely should have brought any damage to the car to your attention when you dropped it off so i'm also convinced this is just a way to get money out of tourists, anyway thanks for posting as it will be very useful and a warning to anyone else looking to rent with this company.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,075 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do not rent a car from OS Autonoleggio - BE AWARE

Rentals don't always have a full tank, but then that's indicated on the contract, as well as existing damages.

It's very important to also document the car's condition on return with a signed contact, and even dated photos of the car.

Vagabonda